Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Implications of Gevey & Cutting SIM

Question Implications of Gevey & Cutting SIM
    I looking to upgrade from an iPhone 3G to 4. I know that Gevey is the only way to unlock most 4's and am looking at the best one out there I think, the Ultra. I understand I will have to cut my normal T-mobile SIM down to the metal section and fit it in the Gevey for my 4.
    Are there any implications or consequences of using the Gevey Ultra? Does T-mobile see this on their network, and has anyone encountered problems with the unlocked network and their sim in an iPhone 4?
    Just don't want to do something risky or wrong before I buy these things and cut my SIM with contacts, etc.
    Thanks for the tips.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

All the Gevey versions seem to do the trick when it comes to unlocking. Personally I would go with the Ultra as it is the most recent one out so it has the most to date bug fixes and unlock method. That being said the choice is really yours. I have had plenty of time to play with the gevey ultra and have not noticed any major problems with using it. Plus the ability to reboot and having the process done automatically for you is also a nice addition.

Nothing beats a good software unlock like ultrasn0w but using the gevey ultra's automated unlock process is the next best thing especially for people with iphone 4s that have basebands past 1.59. Also this is the more less expensive route then buying a factory unlocked device from Apple.

Depending on how your carrier handles your IMSI (which TMobile seems to do pretty well) you shouldn't have any implications of or consequences of use. The real problem lies in the connecting of the "112" emergency number as this not only can get you banned from your carrier but also in trouble with the law. However the directions clearly state not to allow the call to connect. This is why the automated feature of the Gevey Ultra is indeed needed. Mainly for those who are too afraid to manually do the process.

ihappy, thanks for the info!
    Does T-mobile see the usage of this, or are there any problems or getting in trouble with the network working on the phone using the Gevey? What does the Gevey sim overlay actually do? I've looked up the functionality of the Gevey but haven't found any info on what it actually does.

Default micro SIM
    FYI
    t-mobile USA provides micro sim cards now. Just visit your local t-mobile store.

Unsupported Browser

The Gevey isn't visible to T-Mobile, it just tricks the iPhone into working with the T-Mobile SIM. T-Mobile can tell you're using an iPhone 4 though, but they don't care. I had to talk to customer support to fix a text messaging issue, and she simply asked, "are you still using the iPhone 4?" I said "yes" and we just moved on to trying to fix the problem.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    The Gevey isn't visible to T-Mobile, it just tricks the iPhone into working with the T-Mobile SIM. T-Mobile can tell you're using an iPhone 4 though, but they don't care. I had to talk to customer support to fix a text messaging issue, and she simply asked, "are you still using the iPhone 4?" I said "yes" and we just moved on to trying to fix the problem.
    He is absolutely right. TMobile actually likes iPhone users. Just be careful if they try to sell you a more updated (expensive) data plan