Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: can't activate supposedly 'factory unlocked' iphone 4 with same country SIM

Default can't activate supposedly 'factory unlocked' iphone 4 with same country SIM
    hi all,
    i'm desperate for some input as soon as someone reads this as I'm nto sure what to do.
    Purchased a 'factory unlocked' iphone 4 on ebay uk, guy delivered it, seemed genuine. Just put in an o2 (uk network) sim to activate and it says sim is not supported.

My question...

1) does this mean it is not factory unlocked at all

2) if i custom restore in DFU mode to a activated IPSW, will this remove the factory unlock (if there is one in the first place?!)

a prompt reply would be much appreciated as Im just sat here scratching my head!

thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It is not factory unlocked. If it were it wouldn't tell you the SIM is not supported.

Creating a custom fw that is activated can bypass the locked state it is in but you'll need SHSHs for 4.3.3 or below to do so. You may jb the phone with redsn0w to avoid having to restore if you don't have SHSHs saved on that device but ONLY IF the device is on 4.3.3 or below. If it is on 4.3.4 you can still jb but it will be tethered and buggy, but you will have access to the phone. On 4.3.5 it might be possible as well but even worse off and buggier than 4.3.4.

The best bet is for the device to either be on 4.3.3 already or have SHSHs for 4.3.3. If not, you'll have a pretty buggy phone. That and it's likely your device's bb has been upgraded beyond hope of unlocking. If it is an iPhone 4 it should be fine with a Gevey SIM to unlock. If it isn't an iPhone 4 then it needs the iPad bb upgrade, which breaks GPS.

As you can see there are lots of possibilities and different factors in various ways. I could narrow it down better if I had more info on your device

Hint: use f0recast to find out the info as well as TinyUmbrella

Plug the phone into Itunes with the O2 SIM in it. If it is factory unlocked it will tell you so.

However, from what you have said it does not sound promising.

did you put the sim into the phone while it was attached to itunes?

thanks for the replies all. Have just got a message back from the seller apologising and saying he thought it was unlocked. he's offered me a refund. a real shame

im now considering buying a contract, but if i do and the phone comes on 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 will i still be able to jailbreak (dont need unlock but do need jailbreak)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You should wait a while before buying a new phone unless you're sure it is on 4.3.3. You really don't want to have 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 just bc the jb is tethered and buggy.

thanks for the advice annie

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Np