Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Studying abroad with iPhone 4

Default Studying abroad with iPhone 4
    Like the title suggests I will be studying abroad for a year in Europe.

I am in the US with a jailbroken GSM iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 on baseband 03.10.01 I would like to unlock my iPhone so that I can use a local GSM carrier such as WIND.

I know there are no Ultrasn0w unlocks right now so I just want to hear your opinions on what I should do. I would rather not purchase a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple with talks of a 4S/5 model right around the corner and a $649 price tag. I leave in August and the rumor is a September release for the next model which may not have unlocked iPhones to purchase right away.

Has anyone used this Gevey SIM or IMEI service? What are the pro/cons to this? Any other options/opinions?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The IMEI service is no longer offered in the US as all the security holes have been closed.

Factory unlocked phones are great but expensive. This really a matter of choice and if you have the finances to buy one.

Gevey sim (or any other turbo sim) is the only way to go for any other modem firmware past 1.59.00. These are good for unlocking the device but aren't perfect. They are hit or miss when it comes to data issues, heavy battery drain issues, and MMS issues. The newest one Gevey Ultra seems to work pretty well without too many hits. It also does the unlocking process automatically for you but your device must be jailbroken for it to do so.

Other than having to do the 112 thing every time I reboot (which for me is almost never and really a simple process anyway), my fake Gevey Pro that cost me $6 shipped back in May has been awesome. No data issues nor battery drain issues, and no police knocking at my door!

I think a Gevey of some sort is your best option from an economical standpoint.

Ya I think I'll try out the Gevey Ultra. They say that model does not have to dial 112 at all, which would concern me if it did.

Any chance there will be an Ultrasn0w unlock with 5.0? I usually skip on iPhone model like 3GS when I had a 3G and will if this next one is a 4S.

Should I bother to update to 4.3.3? I'm on 4.2.1 now. Cydia says my SHSH's blobs are saved on 4.2.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4

There will probably be a 5.0 compatible Ultrasn0w unlock for those with preserved 1.59.00 basebands, but chance of an unlock for any of 5.0's basebands is slim to none. They haven't figured out how to unlock 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 4.11, so my guess is it's not going to happen.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    There will probably be a 5.0 compatible Ultrasn0w unlock for those with preserved 1.59.00 basebands, but chance of an unlock for any of 5.0's basebands is slim to none. They haven't figured out how to unlock 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 4.11, so my guess is it's not going to happen.
    I agree. iOS 5 is still too new to determine if there will be any unlock for it or not. My guess would be with Gnat and say if you preserved your 1.59 baseband. However now that Apple is selling I4s factory unlocked, hopefully there is a chance they will do that as well with I5.

Plus with iOS 5, Apple is making it harder for the devs to find new ways and exploits to jailbreak and unlock. We already know that there is a possibility of never being able to downgrade again once iOS 5 is publicly released.

iOS5 Halts Downgrades and Untethered Jailbreaks

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

www.applenberry.com
    Gevey works fine.

Thank I'll definitely give it a try. Only thing is I dont know anyone on Tmobile to actually see if it is unlocked before going over seas.

OK got the Gevey Ultra int he mail and decided to try it out on my AT&T SIM just to see if it would work. I dont have a Tmobile SIM to try or know anyone with one.

When I boot up the phone I get an error saying, "You have just failed! Please power off your iPhone, switch it back on and repeat all the steps from the beginning..." Then when I try to repeat the process and go into cydia with the SIM removed I get an about the furious mod repo. It says, "Failed to fetch http://cydia.furiousmod.com/./Release.gpg Bad URL" then two more lines.

I'm thinking its this furioudmod repo that is not working not the SIM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I see no reason to try it out on an ATT sim but to each their own.

The repo error I have seen before once when installing the furiousMod on someone else device but after looking through the "manage packages" section it was clearly installed. What causes this is the mobile substrate clashes with it and causes it to error out.

Simply uninstall the furiousMod and reinstall, pop the sim out and place back in and try the method again. I have unlocked numerous I4s with the gevey ultra and the key to getting it to unlock is to make sure not to touch any of the pop up prompts. Simply go to the home screen and let it do its thing.

I would definitely recommend trying on a different carrier sim as using an ATT one really wont justify if the gevey works properly or not since ATT is an official carrier.