Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Slow data speeds iPhone 4 and 3GS with tmobile - please help.

Default Slow data speeds iPhone 4 and 3GS with tmobile - please help.
    I have an iPhone 3GS and 4. The 3GS is on a tethered redsnow unlock. The 4 is using the gevey sim unlock. Both are jailbroken.

My problem is, I have tmobiles family data 2GB 4G data plan but my speeds are never higher than 0.2mbs. Very slow. Both phones are on the same plan and get the same low speeds. 3G is turned on and cellular roaming too. MMS works on both phones. My setting are epc.tmobile.com. Can anyone tell me why my speeds are so slow. My speeds are slower than EDGE.

Do you think the way I jailbroke it had anything to do with my slow speeds?
    Is anyone on this forum happy with their download speeds from Tmobile or is it bad for everyone too?
    Last edited by rah10; 2011-07-20 at 12:55 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Strange because Tmo doesn't use 3G data here in the US. Its only capable of using Edge so I would expect slow data speeds but nothing like you're experiencing.

I would turn off 3G and see if this helps boost your Edge data

I tried that a few times on both phones last night and the speeds stayed the same. Actually on the 3g, the data doesn't work at all with the 3g option on, only when it is turned off.

To get my MMS to work on both phones I used "T-mobile US MMS Fix". I dont think that would slow down my data speeds but that is the only thing I can think of that I did to both phones. I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Seems fairly normal to me. 0.2Mbps is 200Kbps. I usually get between 100-200Kbps on T-Mo in the Los Angeles area.

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Strange because Tmo doesn't use 3G data here in the US. Its only capable of using Edge so I would expect slow data speeds but nothing like you're experiencing.

I would turn off 3G and see if this helps boost your Edge data
    This is such a misrepresentation of the facts. Of course Tmobile uses both 3G and 4G data in the US. The iphone frequencies are not compatible with the Tmobile network which is why it will not work at 3G speeds but only at 2G which does have compatible frequencies.

With regard to the original post I am trying to figure out what a "Tethered Redsnow Unlock is" I assume you are using Ultrasn0w for the unlock.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2011-07-20 at 02:25 AM.

Really, that sucks. Im not familiar with data speeds on phones. I have EDGE (tzones) for the last few years. I assumed my new 4g data plan paired with the iphone 4 would be somewhat of an improvement.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the iPhone 4 can not take advantage of T-Mo 3G/4G data speeds, only EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    This is such a misrepresentation of the facts. Of course Tmobile uses both 3G and 4G data in the US. The iphone frequencies are not compatible with the Tmobile network which is why it will not work at 3G speeds but only at 2G which does have compatible frequencies.

With regard to the original post I am trying to figure out what a "Tethered Redsnow Unlock is" I assume you are using Ultrasn0w for the unlock.
    No, at the time I unlocked the 3GS the only unlock I could find with my baseband was a tethered unlock using Redsnow.

You are mixing up jailbreaking and unlocking. Redsn0w does a jailbreak not an unlock. The only unlocking software for your phone is ultrasn0w. Jailbreaks can be tethered "need a computer to boot" or Untethered. The term is not relevant to an unlock.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post

The guy clearly is using an iPhone therefore Tmo is not able to use 3G. Had he stated another device and was trying 3G data and I had said that statement then clearly it would be misrepresented but I was in my legal rights to state the obvious since he was using a device that cannot use 3G or 4G data for that matter on that certain carrier.

T-mobile 3G is operate at 1700Mhz Upstream and at 2100Mhz for Downstream. But Iphone can only operate 850Mhz, 900Mhz, 1800Mhz, 1900Mhz, or 2100Mhz as it's 3G on both Up and Downstream. Since T-mobile only support 2100Mhz for Downstream and not Upstream, therefore Iphone can only fall back to 850Mhz and 1900Mhz to use T-mobile EDGE network. Maybe you would want to get a Iphone 5 or whatever Apple wants to call it since it was rumor the next Iphone will support T-mobile 1700Mhz 3G network.

not experience with t-mobile edge, but my ip4 has similar speeds on ATT when using only EDGE. i get ~ 0.13mbs. really sucks that tmobile 3G is on a different freqthen ATT 3G.

0.2mbps is quite excellent for EDGE, you are very close to the maximum 236.8 kbit/s that EDGE is capable of.
    Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to stick with iPhones, try the Opera Mini browser. It renders web pages on Opera's servers to reduce the amount of data needing to be transferred back and forth.

Thanks to all replies!!

So will the same will be true if I buy an iPhone 5 (if it is 4G). Will the At&t and Tmobile 4g network frequencies differ leaving me with an iPhone 5 on the edge network? Or will the frequencies be compatible. If that's the case I will be going AT&T prepaid.

No one really knows what the iPhone 5 will be like, so I don't think anyone knows if it will support 4G or if it will support T-Mobile frequencies as well. We do know for sure it will support AT&T frequencies, and 4G uses the same frequencies as 3G on both networks. Even if it doesn't support T-Mobile 4G or 3G, just wait till Q1 2012. AT&T has said they will be switching TMO over to AT&T frequencies after the merge.

Quote Originally Posted by rah10 View Post
    Thanks to all replies!!

So will the same will be true if I buy an iPhone 5 (if it is 4G). Will the At&t and Tmobile 4g network frequencies differ leaving me with an iPhone 5 on the edge network? Or will the frequencies be compatible. If that's the case I will be going AT&T prepaid.
    Only Steve Jobs will know what frequency will next IPhone be using. Keep Ur hope up and wait.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mashirabbit View Post
    Only Steve Jobs will know what frequency will next IPhone be using....
    Maybe 3 or 4 more people know

Just came from T-Mobile and a rep told me that you can get around the slow Edge data by connecting the unlocked iPhone to the internet by adding the T-Mobile mobile hotspot plan.

Based on my (limited) understanding of the situation, because the iPhone 4 cannot achieve 3G/4G speeds personally through Tmobile, you would use a standalone device (like this)to connect the iPhone 4 to wi-fi to achieve regular speeds through the internet technically but based on 3G/4G.

That is what I took from the Rep. I spoke to. I just wanna throw it out there as a potential alternative and just to make sure this a logically sound alternative. let me know what you think fellas.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^That'll work. A 3G/4G <-> WiFi router. The device connects to T-Mo's 3G data and the iPhone connects to the device via WiFi. Keep in mind, a separate data plan is required for the device.

Alright thanks a lot for verifying it. To those that are interested, since you are buying the phone separate, you would be eligible for a Value plan (requires 2 year contract). Because you are not benefiting with a new phone for locking in for two years, you can go on the Value Plan which is $10 cheaper than the regular plan per month.

Also, because you will be using the mobile hotspot device, u do not need any type of data plan. The plan I will get is the 500 mins w/ unlimited text for $39.99 and then the mobile hotspot price would be like $29 (or maybe $34, can't remember). That's is a total of $70-$75 for both features before tax which I believe is potentially cheaper than a standalone iPhone contract with AT&T (and Verizon?)

I've had a monthly contract for the last year and a half but they have been good (as long as nothing goes wrong) so I got no real problem committing for 2 years
    Last edited by CameronJ; 2011-08-08 at 03:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast