Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking 3g 5.14.02?

Default Unlocking 3g 5.14.02?
    Other day my iPhone 3g 4.0.1 just randomly decided to put itself in recovery mode. Me being stupid and not messing with jailbreak/unlocking for a year or two I stupidly updated to 4.2.1 with iTunes, and now my baseband is at 5.14.02. I already looked, and I have a bootloader of 5.09 so Fuzzyband isn't gonna work. Is there any way to downgrade/unlock my iPhone BESIDES upgrading to baseband of the iPad 6.15?

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No. To unlock, one software choice exists ... installing the iPad baseband + ultrasn0w. The gavey SIM is a hardware/external option with some reported success .... only with an iPhone 4
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-07 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Updated w/iPhone 4 exclusion

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If it's an iPhone 3G you should check the bootloader version. If it is 5.8 you may downgrade the baseband to unlock. Check with F0recast from iH8Sn0w.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    No. To unlock, one software choice exists ... installing the iPad baseband + ultrasn0w. The gavey SIM is a hardware/external option with some reported success.
    Please stop perpetuating the 3G/3GS Gevey myth. There is no reported success on those phones. Every person *who actually tried it* on this board clearly reported the Gevey does not work on 3G/3GS. Gevey does reportedly work with iPhone 4 on this board. But I haven't seen anything for 3G/3GS.
    Last edited by bologna; 2011-07-07 at 07:45 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think it's just a misunderstanding. Right Mes?

As of recent you are correct, Gevey is only meant for iPhone 4 in regards to unlocking on iOS 4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1. Without the correct adapter it's next to impossible to make the latest versions work. Guess they dropped standard SIM support altogether.

Even with a home-made adapter, fake Gevey Pro didn't work in my 3GS at all even though I know the phone could see it (ICCID being read).

My guess is the Gevey is able to execute non-standard code in the baseband's native OS, which is different between the iPhone 4 (ThreadX) and 3G/3GS (Nucleus).