Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3GS baseband inquiry for GPS

Default Iphone 3GS baseband inquiry for GPS
    Hello,

I plan on purchasing a 3GS and have come across some research that if you're on the latest baseband, it may cause gps issues. What baseband is recommended to stay on in order to prevent gps problems? I'm planning on buying a used one from eBay this week, and one of the main features I'll be using will be GPS apps (i.e. Navigon, TomTom, etc). Please advise. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

5.13.04 is the highest (maximum) 3G/3GS which can be software unlocked using Ultrasn0w and retain full GPS capabilities. If a software unlock is not required, I'm unaware of any GPS issues with all stock basebands..GPS issues occur only when the iPad baseband (6.15.x) are installed on an iPhone
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-06-28 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    5.13.04 is the highest (maximum) 3G/3GS which can be software unlocked using Ultrasn0w and retain full GPS capabilities. If a software unlock is not required, I'm unaware of any GPS issues with all stock basebands..GPS issues occur only when the iPad baseband (6.15.x) are installed on an iPhone
    Mes,

Thanks for the quick response. The reason I took so long to respond is that I finally received my 3GS with new bootrom on 5.12.01. I updated to 4.3.3 via sn0wbreeze and preserved that baseband for now. I'm just wondering if there's a performance difference between what I have now and 5.13.04. I tested it out and seems to be working great. I just noticed that if I pop in the SIM, I have to wait awhile for Tmobile services to kick in. Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Never seen or heard of any performance (or other) differences between the basebands, so I'ld stay put. The very first time a SIM is inserted and depending upon the strength of the carrier signal, it's normal to take a few minutes. It might even require a reboot to get everything up and running. Sometimes switching Airplane mode on/off or resetting network settings hastens this initial process. Subsequent boots should find the SIM/signal much quicker. In a strong signal areas, this should occur in seconds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

j0hnsmith (2011-07-06)