Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "no service" after unlocked

Default "no service" after unlocked
    I have a 3G that I jailbroke with snowbreeze and unlocked with ultrasnow but the phone could not recognize my tmobile sim card. It showed searching for like 5 minutes then “no service”. I tried all the typical trick network reset, airplane mode toggle….but it’s still not working. Last night I tried a AT&T sim card and it also said “no service”??? I used the custom firmware that I created for my wife’s 3G (same 4.2.1 iOS version). Is custom firmware created using snowbreeze for a specific iphone only? I do not want to restore to stock firmware because I do not want to upgrade my baseband.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So both you and your wife's phone have the same baseband and carrier correct??

I would try cooking a cfw just for your phone and see how that goes.

No my wife's phone was on ipad baseband before I re-jailbreak with snowbreeze, mine is on 05.11.07. I don't remember plug her phone in when I created that custom firmware that's why I "think" custom firmware is not phone specific.
    I will try to create another custom firmware to re-jailbreak my phone and see.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
    No my wife's phone was on ipad baseband before I re-jailbreak with snowbreeze, mine is on 05.11.07. I don't remember plug her phone in when I created that custom firmware that's why I "think" custom firmware is not phone specific.
    I will try to create another custom firmware to re-jailbreak my phone and see.
    That makes more sense. Your wife needed a cfw since she is on the ipad bb. You however have a bb that is unlockable at the moment so you will have to proceed to doing another cfw or using a method that doesnt require the use of the ipad bb.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wait just a minute here ihappy !!!!!!!!!!!!

3G/3GS basebands 4.26.08, 5.11.07, 5.12.01, 5.13.04 and 6.15.00 are ALL unlockable with Ultrasn0w !!!!!

AND .... a single 3GS custom firmware will work on all 3GS's, it doesn't matter what baseband is installed. Remember ... one of the primary purposes of a custom firmware is to REMOVE the baseband update portion. This is required for both of dannyt's iphones.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Wait just a minute here ihappy !!!!!!!!!!!!

3G/3GS basebands 4.26.08, 5.11.07, 5.12.01, 5.13.04 and 6.15.00 are ALL unlockable with Ultrasn0w !!!!!

AND .... a single 3GS custom firmware will work on all 3GS's, it doesn't matter what baseband is installed. Remember ... one of the primary purposes of a custom firmware is to REMOVE the baseband update portion. This is required for both of dannyt's iphones.
    True but usually most people who only use the 6.15 bb would be those who have gone past the 5.13 one and have to update to the 6.15 just to retain an unlock. Wouldnt it stand to reason if hes already on an unlockable bb to just create a seperate cfw or use the method doesnt require the use of the ipad bb??

Ok here is the whole story. I bought the phone used and it was on 3.1 ios IIRC. I used redsnow to jailbreak with 3.1.2 ios (05.11.07bb). I need to unlock because I have t-mobile but Cydia show this message “This device has a pending TSS request” for more than a week so I can not unlock it. I used tiny umbrella to check the saved SHSH and only 4.1 and 4.2.1 ios was save by Cydia. I figured that I need to upgrade to ios 4.1 or 4.2.1 in order to by pass the pending TSS to get the phone unlock. Itunes upgraded my phone to 4.2.1 with the custom firmware 4.2.1 that I created for my wife phone without a glitch and ultrasnow was installed. With all that work and what I got is “no service”

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ihappy .... maybe you were implying something different, but the result is the same. Custom firmwares don't update the baseband.

In the case of the iPad BB, it's required because of the iPad BB. In the case of the unlockable BB, it also required because the BB needs to be retained for the unlock. There is NO difference in the cfw. In both cases, the iPhones BB are unchanged.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannyt View Post
    Ok here is the whole story. I bought the phone used and it was on 3.1 ios IIRC. I used redsnow to jailbreak with 3.1.2 ios (05.11.07bb). I need to unlock because I have t-mobile but Cydia show this message “This device has a pending TSS request” for more than a week so I can not unlock it. I used tiny umbrella to check the saved SHSH and only 4.1 and 4.2.1 ios was save by Cydia. I figured that I need to upgrade to ios 4.1 or 4.2.1 in order to by pass the pending TSS to get the phone unlock. Itunes upgraded my phone to 4.2.1 with the custom firmware 4.2.1 that I created for my wife phone without a glitch and ultrasnow was installed. With all that work and what I got is “no service”
    Check your baseband again. You may have updated to a non - unlockable baseband.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ihappy .... maybe you were implying something different, but the result is the same. Custom firmwares don't update the baseband.

In the case of the iPad BB, it's required because of the iPad BB. In the case of the unlockable BB, it also required because the BB needs to be retained for the unlock. There is NO difference in the cfw. In both cases, the iPhones BB are unchanged.
    I think thats what I was trying to say you just worded it better. I suck at this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Check your baseband again. You may have updated to a non - unlockable baseband.
    the baseband is still on 05.11.07

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's unlockable w/ultrasn0w. Maybe something is interfering ..... Did you install anything recently? Have you tried re-installing ultrasn0w? Did you swap SIMs to test?

update: I am tired of trying to keep the unlockable baseband so I let itunes restore to stock 4.2.1 firmware then re-jailbreak with redsnow, upgrade to ipad baseband and unlocked with ultrasnow. The phone keep searching and "no service" again. Now I am thinking the issue is with the hardware. bad sim card reader??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It could be a hardware issue then. It's unfortunate you killed the GPS though. But regardless, I would recommend cleaning the SIM slot maybe with pressurized air.

Thanks

I'm in a similar situation with my 3GS on 4.1 BB: 6.15. Except mine receives signal for a certain amount of time then the signal drops to. "No Service" After a while as soon as a message saying "Restore to iTunes because calls can not be made or received" My phone starts rebooting and rebooting. I usually turn it off. If i turn off for a few hours and turn it back on then for some reason it starts to get signal again.

I think it maybe due to me dropping the phone on concrete and i think it may of landed where the SIM card tray is because it slightly ejected out when i picked it back up and i started to get plagued with the "No Service" issue.

Check General -> About and see if it can read the SIM's ICCID. If so, there could be something wrong with the baseband chip or antenna. What color are the water damage stickers? Whenever I come across a phone acting very strange like this, there is usually a good chance it's seen water damage.

Thanks

Yes can view my ICCID number, if i can view them does that mean something occurred to my phone? IICR the water stickers is in the 3.5mm headjack? Better find a torch if i can see them.

There is one in the headphone jack and one in the dock connector. If you can view your ICCID number, that means the phone can read your SIM card. So it does sound like there might be something else wrong with it other than inability to read the SIM.
    When you tried the AT&T SIM, did it have active service on it? Have you verified your T-Mobile SIM works fine in another phone?

Thanks

I actually purchased the phone through eBay to work on the Vodafone network here in New Zealand and i don't have access to an AT&T SIM, though the seller said it worked fine when he originally possessed the phone.

My Vodafone SIM works normally on other phones.

Ah, just noticed you weren't the OP, lol!
    Your case sounds like something could be loose inside the phone since you said it was working fine till you dropped it. If you're not afraid to take it apart, you might see if all the connectors are good and tight. I would pay particular attention to the antenna connector, #7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast