Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: need help ,updating from 4.1 to 4.2 ,and keeping my unlock

Default need help ,updating from 4.1 to 4.2 ,and keeping my unlock
    Can anyone help out with an iPhone question ? I want to update my firmware on my jailbroken(with redsnow) 3G iPhone , from 4.1 to 4.2 , is this ok, & will I be able to keep my unlock ?
    Thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes it is possible and yes you can keep you unlock. Try this out as this may be what you're looking for.

How to Preserve Baseband, Jailbreak, Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G on 4.2.1 Using PwnageTool 4.2 / Sn0wbreeze 2.2 [Video] | Redmond Pie

cool, thanks for the response
    i haven't used pwnage tool before, do i have to in order to upgrade, or can i just use redsnow again with a new firmware ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would try creating a custom fw with snowbreeze (windows version of pwnage tool) as this will get you to where you want and still preserve your baseband for the unlock.

If you have had great progress with redsn0w in the past then by all means keep doing what you're doing but heed the warning as there could be a chance that your baseband will get updated. If you have the 5.8 bootloader in your 3g then you wont have any problems downgrading the bb if it happens to get updated.

well, in the past when i used redsnow,i had the ipad baseband checked and installed,if that makes any difference ?
    Last edited by zimonkey420; 2011-06-26 at 04:43 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you updated with the ipad bb then it is there for good and your only option is to create a custom firmware to update unless you have a 5.8 bootloader.

so,basically use sn0wbreeze like you mentioned ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zimonkey420 View Post
    so,basically use sn0wbreeze like you mentioned ?
    Correct. You cant use an official fw once the ipad bb is installed.

awesome,thanks again for your help

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No problem

This might be really annoying, but how the heck do you post a new question??? I have a question about restoring a backup to my jailbroken iphone 4, but can't seem to navigate my way around the site. I'm sure asking questions midst someone else thread is a big no no... so I apologize in advance... but help?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szareey View Post
    This might be really annoying, but how the heck do you post a new question??? I have a question about restoring a backup to my jailbroken iphone 4, but can't seem to navigate my way around the site. I'm sure asking questions midst someone else thread is a big no no... so I apologize in advance... but help?
    Go to the correct section you are gonna ask your question in and near the top of the section there is a button that says "Post New Thread" and this will allow you to ask your question.