Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gevey and iPhone 3GS. I'm confused...

Default Gevey and iPhone 3GS. I'm confused...
    Hey guys, new here.

I'm in Canada and am moving abroad for work. I have an iPhone 3GS with Rogers that is locked. It's a jailbroken 4.1, and I would like to get it unlocked.

Only thing, I am on BB 5.14.02, which is not unlockable, unless I upgrade to the iPad BB. I'll leave that as a last resort.

Now my other option seems to be the Gevey sim card, it's just that I can't find any reliable information about its compatibility with the iPhone 3GS.

Can somebody clear it up for me? Does it work with the iPhone 3GS? If so, can someone give me a link to a guide that explains how to do it and which Gevey sim needs to be used?

Thank you.

PS: The best option would be to get Rogers to unlock it. I tried explaining them to the situation, but they refuse to unlock it because my term with them is not over yet. If anyone managed to convince them, I would appreciate a PM about it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

With carriers like Rogers, Vodafone and O2 you have to wait around 3 months before you go off contract and get them to process your unlock. I do not believe gevey has a turbo sim for the 3gs as the 3gs does not use a micro sim and the ipad bb unlock may be your only hope.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-06-25 at 07:11 PM. Reason: changed info

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Currently iOS 4 unlocks via Gevey seems to only be for iPhone 4. Don't really think Gevey will be working on anything for 3GS/3G anymore, they stopped at 2.2.

Thanks for the replies.

I think my only option right now is to unlock by going through the ipad bb.

Are there any issues with that other than the GPS problem? I can live with that issue.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sirakoz View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I think my only option right now is to unlock by going through the ipad bb.

Are there any issues with that other than the GPS problem? I can live with that issue.
    Some people claim to have signal issues as well as massive battery drain issues. Its hit or miss IMO.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You will always have to use a custom firmware for future restoring or firmware updates. This means you can never have a stock unjailbroken device unless you have SHSHs for 4.1 or below to restore to. 4.2.1 and up will force you to need custom firmware.

I feel like the ipad bb gets a bad rep for no good reason. If you really need an unlock then its better than nothing and losing gps is not the end of the world. But instead what you might consider is selling this phone to fund the purchase of another 3gs that has an unlockable bb off ebay or cl theres still plenty of them out there. Or use the funds and get an iphone on a local network where you are moving to as pay as you go. Lots of overseas carriers will unlock their phone if you got it from them and used it on their network.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I kindly disagree though. It should be a last resort type of thing. In case a device still has warranty, that's automatically void. As mentioned before, custom firmware is required and therefore the phone can no longer restore to stock. I really don't like suggesting to use the iPad baseband, but if people are willing to understand the consequences then that's fine. I myself wouldn't do it.

I do however agree that selling the device and purchasing an unlockable one is a good solution. If I were in any position to need an unlock, this is what I would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Some people claim to have signal issues as well as massive battery drain issues. Its hit or miss IMO.
    I think the battery drain issues were related to hacktivation. Just use a AT&T sim card to activate. You'll get push notifications this way as well. You can seriously buy an AT&T sim card for $1-2 off ebay.