Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help - iphone 3G activation

Default Please help - iphone 3G activation
    I got an iphone 3G from my a family memeber with ios 3.0 on it. Before inserting my active ATT SIM I updated through itunes and the phone is now stuck in emergency call mode with an error message from itunes that the phone is not recognized and cannot be activated. From there I've been trying everthing including jailbreaking to get the phone working. If I jailbreak the phone using redsnow or pwnage to iOS 4.2.1 with the activation box checked the phone will go to the home screen but will not make calls. The signal shows 1 bar or no service.

From what I understand I need to uncheck activation and use itunes to activate the phone with my ATT sim card since I am going to use the ATT network. But if I do that the phone is back in emergency call mode with the itunes error (same happens evertime I do an itunes restore to apple firmware)

Carrier: ATT (do not need an unlock)
    Firmware: 4.2.1 8C148 (redsnow or pwnage)
    baseband: 05.15.04
    bootloader: 5.9 (so I'd be stuck on 6.15.00 baseband if I expiremented with that)

I don't know what shshs is yet.

Am I missing something? I've spent hrs on forums and it seems like I've tried everthing. Why would an iphone not activate with legit firware?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

What itunes error code are you getting ? Are you sure you are in Emergency screen not recovery screen, if you are in Emergency screen and your iphone is official carrier for ATNT, then it should trigger activate it through itunes unless it is not.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're got it easy. Because you're AT&T, standard iTunes w/standard firmware, w/standard process should work. It should load, activate (if you've got the SIM installed -- yes), and finish at the home screen. Then, if you want, you can use the latest redsn0w to jailbreak.

Power the phone off. Press the home button while plugging the USB cable into the iphone/computer. iTunes will launch and find the iPhone in recovery mode. Recover it with the SIM installed. Don't mess around with custom this, or iPad baseband that ... it will only confuse the issue.

You end up with 4.2.1 installed. The latest available for a 3G.

I thought I had it easy too since I'm on ATT. I wasn't actually trying to jailbreak my phone in the first place. That was only an attempt to get the phone to go to the home screen.

After a routine itunes iOS update to 4.2.1 the phone shows the connect to itunes picture with a slider for emergency call only. You can hit the slider and get a dial pad but no way to get to home screen. I thought recovery mode only showed the connect to itunes picture without a slider for emergency calls. At the end of the itunes restore/upgrade and every time I plug the phone in there after, I get an itunes message saying the phone was not recognized and cannot be activated. There is no pop up error dialog or error number to reference. Sometimes an error dialog pops up and says that restore was interrupted. But that was only when I tried restoring to an older iOS.

I've read about all of things that people update and what can go wrong: baseband, bootloader, etc. All of this seems to be ok on my phone for standard ATT usage.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

After a restore you will get another connect to iTunes picture .... this step is activation. If a valid SIM is installed and iTunes is properly configured (your user name and computer is authorized) and connected - it should activate. Something is interfering with this last step. Check your hosts file for anything related to apple.com. Remove or comment any entr[y|ies] you find. It's also possible the SIM is bad or invalid. Maybe others have more suggestions.

I'm using a sim card from my samsung phone that I use everyday so I figure it Is good. However, when i put my other inactive sim card in i get the same result ( i just thought to try my wifes sim I've tried the iTunes restore on my Mac and my pc and both are up to date and both have the same problem. I'll read up on the host file thing and the user name. I don't remember having to log in but I do have an iTunes account.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're welcome. The problem you're experiencing is odd. Please continue to report your progress

Just now I tried using my wife's sim card (just incase mine wasn't sketchy). I signed into itunes store with here itunes account and did a restore to 4.2.1. Got the same message:

There is a problem with your iphone. Were sorry the iphone you connected is not recognized and cannot be activated.

The phone is displaying a connect to itunes and a slider for emergency calls only. There were no other error messages at all and the one above appeared after the iphone rebooted following the restore.

I'm out of ideas again. Can anything else be corrupted that could be reloaded: bootloader, baseband, etc. (I don't know much about these items)?