Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Modding questions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default General Modding questions.
    Iphone 3gs. 4.3.3 ATT service.

Im thinking of jailbreaking my iphone. just for the gui customization options and of course for emulation.

I have a few questions though before i even attempt to do it.

What software do you use after you have jailbroken in place of itunes? For installing music and movies and the like.

Also. the apps i have bought on the app store. will i still be able to use them? or are they rendered inoperable by the jailbreak and firmware changes?

im completely new to this other than having used custom firmware on my psp and homebrew apps. bu i figure if i can do that, i should be able to do this on my phone. i hope.

---gahafer

You can still use iTunes, just make sure you don't update or you'll lose your jailbreak. Or you can use pwntunes which is installable through Cydia.
    Normally jailbreaking is like updating and it wipes all the apps, if you've already paid for them you can install them again and you shouldn't get charged.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gahafer View Post
    Iphone 3gs. 4.3.3 ATT service.

Im thinking of jailbreaking my iphone. just for the gui customization options and of course for emulation.

What software do you use after you have jailbroken in place of itunes? For installing music and movies and the like.

Also. the apps i have bought on the app store. will i still be able to use them? or are they rendered inoperable by the jailbreak and firmware changes?

im completely new to this other than having used custom firmware on my psp and homebrew apps. bu i figure if i can do that, i should be able to do this on my phone. i hope.

---gahafer
    Because you are already on the current version (4.3.3) .... jailbreaking is a piece of cake. The only effect you will see is an additional app --- called Cydia. No custom firmware needed, nothing special. Use the latest redsn0w to jailbreak available here: Dev-Team Blog A good tutorial is available here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.3.3] or here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.3.3] After the JB, everything works (iTunes, everything) just like it did before.

The prior poster was describing what will happen if/when you update/restore 4.3.3 to a different version.