Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No service, network list not showing up?

Default No service, network list not showing up?
    So for awhile now my old hand-me-down iPhone 3GS won't work as a phone anymore. It worked for awhile up until I tried to unlock it...then that's when it did this. But this phone's had its share of strange problems. To begin with, it's had water damage and the home button wouldn't work for several weeks...this is why I was given it to begin with. After much trial and error I was able to restore it to firmware version 4.0. Most normal forms of jailbreaking just didn't work most of the time...if I recall, I used green pois0n to jailbreak it. It also had a strange problem involving flashing the screen on when it was asleep saying "this device is not compatible with this iphone" but I fixed that with "popup blocker."

Anyway, since I was going to be in a foreign country for a few months I wanted to see if I could unlock it. Didn't exactly go very smoothly...I had much trouble even getting it jailbroken again, but it stayed at the same firmware and baseband 05.14.02, if I recall, but this time it wouldn't even work as a phone with a sim card that worked just right beforehand.

Now in the "about" page it just says that the carrier is "not available," it doesn't know my phone number and the network list doesn't show up. It doesn't give me any options to search either, it simply says "no service" on the top.

I recently managed to upgrade it to 4.3.3 with pwnage tool, but the problem remains the same. I'm hesitant to upgrade to the iPad baseband though, as I've heard it has issues.

Anyway, does anybody have any idea what this is? It's been driving me nuts and I've been without a phone for awhile now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

The only issue with ipad bb is lost of GPS function, so if you need unlock, if not already jailbroken , you can jailbreak it with Redsn0w RC17 and after the jailbreak run redsn0w a second time but this time choose ipad bb update to unlock with Ultrasn0w.

Okay, so do I have to re-jailbreak it without pwnage tool then? Or can I go straight to Ultrasn0w? Not really 100% sure how all of this works, and I don't really want to have a brick on my hands since this is my only cell right now.

My iPhone is already jailbroken with 4.3.3 (made my own custom firmware with pwnage tool then restored with itunes) and baseband of 05.14.02. From here, could I go straight to unlocking it? Or is there something else I have to do first?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You still have to jailbreak it again with redsn0w and select add ipad bb when it gives you the option to use ultrasn0w
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-06-21 at 03:52 PM.

i have having issues with the ipad bb with a few diffrent iphones(3g &3 gs) on diffrent firmwares all with the same problem when ever i make a call as soon as i hang up the signal gets lost and starts to search for service will find reception again but everytime its searches for service its killing my battery cuz when i take the sims out the phones last for days can anyone help me find a solution to this problem

Now, just to be sure, can I simply run the redsn0w app over top of my custom firmware package install without having to restore or anything? Or should I restore with an official firmware package first?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I believe you can run redsn0w over the previous jailbreak but you will have to use an official firmware so it can identify it and get you to the options section. This is where you will choose to install Cydia and the iPad BB.

It gave me "unexpected error" and a white screen. If I recall, this is what happened when I first tried to jailbreak this phone back when I first got it.

Anybody know how to fix this, or am I basically just screwed?

also: I can still use the iPhone after this, it doesn't seem like it's broken anything. It just didn't work. I selected "new bootrom," since I'm pretty sure that this phone has one. I'll try it again with that function unchecked, but if I recall that didn't work either last time I tried...
    Last edited by DaBomb77766; 2011-06-23 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks

Restore to cfw again and if you don't have iPad bb , run redsnow rc18 and only check iPad bb to update.

Will this work with a pwnage tool cfw package? Also, what if I used the iPad bb option in pwnage tool? Nobody's mentioned that yet. Seems like pwnage tool is the only one that works for me right now...I don't think I'm gonna get redsn0w to work, I remember trying it over and over again to no avail back with v4.0.

Okay...looks like when I try to use redsn0w now, it just instantly thinks it's in restore mode as soon as I click on the "next" button, even when the iPhone was turned off. What does this mean...?
    Last edited by DaBomb77766; 2011-06-23 at 12:26 AM.

-bump-

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just don't want to permanently brick my iPhone!

Thanks

What is your status of your iphone now ?

At the moment, everything appears to be perfectly functional except for the phone part of it. I just checked, and the GPS appears to be working too.

Just, it doesn't give me any sort of a network list for the phone...it says the carrier and phone number are unknown.

Thanks

Do you have the ipad bb ?

Nope, the baseband is 05.14.02. I could easily get my hands on a copy of the ipad bb though if I needed to, which I'm assuming I do.

Thanks

You need to update to ipad bb if you need unlock but you may break your gps function.

To get it, run redsn0w RC17 in xp2 compatibility mode and only choose ipad bb to update.

Does anybody know why it might break the gps function? I'm fine with that if it'll get my phone to work, I guess...it's better than nothing. But has any progress been made to fix this?

Anyway, since redsn0w doesn't seem to work for me, could I just use pwnage tool again and check the "upgrade to ipad baseband" function instead?

Thanks

I don't think it will work choosing ipad bb in cfw . I have seen error 1015 pops up. Try another computer and do the ipad bb update.

You can try and let me know if it works out.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

DaBomb77766 (2011-06-24)

Sure, thanks, I'll try it out!

Okay, awesome, it looks like it's updated to the iPad bb...now what? Am I supposed to unlock it now?

Actually, just installed ultrasn0w and now it works, finally! Took awhile to connect to the network but it appears that I can now call out without a problem. Thanks a lot guys!

Anybody have any idea what happened here though? This iPhone worked before, up until I installed ultrasn0w not knowing that my baseband wasn't unlockable, if I recall...could that have wrecked something?
    Last edited by DaBomb77766; 2011-06-24 at 05:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast