Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The lonely 05.15.04 club. We've been abandoned.

Unhappy The lonely 05.15.04 club. We've been abandoned.
    The iPhone 3GS. A phone that only came out a couple years ago. Wonderful phone. Millions exist. Yes the 4 came out but the 3GS is a damn good phone and there's plenty of 'em out there.

I got water damage and had to swap it for a new replacement that has a BB of 05.15.04. The community has abandoned this phone and this baseband. I need GPS functionality on this phone. I need T-Mobile due to a package deal I have. Switching to AT&T will cost me a lot more than just their fees, otherwise I would've just given in and switched.

At this point, it's obvious the teams and hackers have completely abandoned trying to do a baseband downgrade, or an unlock for 05.15.04. No Gevey for this phone, oh no.

So, is there a plan B? I heard about physically plucking off the baseband chip by heating the solder contacts and replacing the baseband chip with another one. Anyone know anything about this?

Or should I just throw this phone away? It's the 32-gig model. Brand-spanking-shiny new. A paperweight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There's a plan A. Use redsn0w to flash the iPad 6.15 baseband to your 3GS and unlock with ultrasn0w. That's how its been done for months and months now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

seann33uk (2011-06-21)

Wait what I'd like to try swap baseband chips... That would be interesting.

Kinda in the same boat but I have a 5.16.02 baseband 3GS...

but unfortunately, like you, I would like to keep my GPS...unless you're willing to shell out more money for a GPS unit.

---
    I looked up replacing baseband chips....I don't think its worth it!

If you're feeling adventurous: http://tinyurl.com/6jw89se
    Last edited by fraikonz; 2011-06-20 at 07:57 PM.

Poseidon, there is no Plan A. You overlooked the part where I said I need GPS functionality. Plan A breaks the GPS functionality, something *heavily* covered on this forum and other forums. Promises of a real solution have been promised for many, many months and then quietly dissolved.
    Last edited by bologna; 2011-06-20 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I was not aware that the GPS issue was widespread. I thought it only affected some.. not all users. If that's not the case I def understand your issue.

i have the same problem, but i;m on baseband 5.14.02, from ios 4.1 (i'm running 4.3.3 though!)
    i do wonder what percentage of people who do the ipad unlock loses their gps, 50%? 90%? 99.999%?

is there any gevey equivalents for the iphone 3gs?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I was not aware that the GPS issue was widespread. I thought it only affected some.. not all users. If that's not the case I def understand your issue.
    The few who said their GPS was working fine with the 6.15 iPad BB method, were actually mistaken. They simply opened up their Map app and saw the blue dot on the map and told everyone that their GPS was working. But that's not GPS, that's triangulation based on WiFi or cellular signals. A true GPS app uses the GPS satellites. An app, such as Tom Tom, is for traveling far distances out of range of cell or WiFi signals. Apps like that won't work on 6.15 because the real GPS becomes broken.

I either can't make calls on the phone, or I can't use the GPS. And if I choose the latter, the decision is permanent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bologna For This Useful Post:

jcitme (2011-06-23)

damn.

what was the technical reason behind the failure of the GPS?
    also, what prevents us from taking the (whatever the baseband for 4.0.2 is) and renaming it, iono, 6.16 and installing it?

(basically is there any technical info on this?)

Quote Originally Posted by jcitme View Post
    i have the same problem, but i;m on baseband 5.14.02, from ios 4.1 (i'm running 4.3.3 though!)
    i do wonder what percentage of people who do the ipad unlock loses their gps, 50%? 90%? 99.999%?

is there any gevey equivalents for the iphone 3gs?
    Check out this thread on your question. http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...-work-3gs.html

Some genius needs to devote all his time and resources to finishing the brute-force unlocker the dev-team was working on. I saw in one thread where geohot calculated that his brute force unlocker would take 317-years to unlock a baseband. I also saw that nVidia CUDA has the ability to greatly reduce encryption key cracking. One number I read was 10,000 times faster. If that number is anywhere near accurate, that means CUDA could take a 317-year process and reduce it to little over 11-days.

Oh well, just daydreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestightride View Post
    Check out this thread on your question. http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...-work-3gs.html
    didn't help, it doesn't.

are there ANY cards that work on the 3gs?

Quote Originally Posted by jcitme View Post
    didn't help, it doesn't.

are there ANY cards that work on the 3gs?
    Nope. No Gevey card. No unlock. No baseband downgrade. Nothin'.

So is that really the bottom line??
    I've being waiting patiently for months, using an old nokia, waiting for the unlock to become available but in the end the dev team isn't bothering? And it's going to stay like that???
    So Apple have won.
    The only option is to upgrade to ipad firmware and lose GPS???
    i feel sick.

No, I believe Dev-Team's Sherif Hashim was working on it as recently as a month ago, but having no success - he bricked his iPhone 3G. Last I've read, Sherif Hashim was working the baseband downgrade angle while MuscleNerd was working the NCK brute force crack angle. Neither seems to be encountering much success. They are still trying, but it does seem that Apple has won. There are just some encryption methods that are virtually impossible to crack. I hate how Apple is so fixated on waging a war against consumers who would like to get deeper into the device than simply using it. The whole "chain of trust", non-downgradeable bootloaders, phoning home to verify firmware hasn't been tampered with, SHSH blobs required for downgrading firmware... it's all so unnecessary. No other company goes to such extremes.

Anyway, I digress. I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes, iPad firmware is your only option right now and for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps if there is enough demand, one of those companies will make a SIM interposer.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    No, I believe Dev-Team's Sherif Hashim was working on it as recently as a month ago, but having no success - he bricked his iPhone 3G. Last I've read, Sherif Hashim was working the baseband downgrade angle while MuscleNerd was working the NCK brute force crack angle. Neither seems to be encountering much success. They are still trying, but it does seem that Apple has won. There are just some encryption methods that are virtually impossible to crack. I hate how Apple is so fixated on waging a war against consumers who would like to get deeper into the device than simply using it. The whole "chain of trust", non-downgradeable bootloaders, phoning home to verify firmware hasn't been tampered with, SHSH blobs required for downgrading firmware... it's all so unnecessary. No other company goes to such extremes.

Anyway, I digress. I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes, iPad firmware is your only option right now and for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps if there is enough demand, one of those companies will make a SIM interposer.
    you should see what goes on behind the scene at microsoft/sony then... the wii had a easy to break system but sony's chain of trust and hypervisor, if not so flawed, would have been extremely secure.

I actually need the GPS more than i need the phone aspect, so i think i'll stick with my current baseband, expecially if the NCK attack works. I don't see why we don't have any news a month later about breaking a 40-bit encryption code, tho, especially considering something like 56bit-DES is broken in under a day (idk the differences between symmetric and asymmetric algorithm in terms of brute force time, but my point stands).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

..... I hate how Apple is so fixated on waging a war against consumers who would like to get deeper into the device than simply using it. The whole "chain of trust", non-downgradeable bootloaders, phoning home to verify firmware hasn't been tampered with, SHSH blobs required for downgrading firmware... it's all so unnecessary. No other company goes to such extremes.
    It spells "Monopoly".

Quote Originally Posted by S11DJ View Post
    So is that really the bottom line??
    I've being waiting patiently for months, using an old nokia, waiting for the unlock to become available but in the end the dev team isn't bothering? And it's going to stay like that???
    So Apple have won.
    The only option is to upgrade to ipad firmware and lose GPS???
    i feel sick.
    Seems like that the case. I know they're doing this pro-bono, but the regular announcements of "Should be ready in a few weeks" and then complete silence afterwards was not the best way for them to go about it. I wish they could just say "This is taking longer than we thought, we might be stumped" or simply "Don't hold your breath" or "Throw out your 3GS as the iPhone 4 is easier to deal with."

If you read their twitter feeds, you will see they are stumped, but still trying! They were mistaken when they said, "should be ready in a few weeks" and they've publicly admitted that.

Although they've never said the last thing... the iPhone 4 is NOT any easier to deal with. They are equally as stumped on it as the 3GS. If it were not for the Gevey and its clones, there would be NO unlock for the iPhone 4 w/2.10 or newer baseband at all.

If you read their twitter feeds, you will see they are stumped, but still trying! They were mistaken when they said, "should be ready in a few weeks" and they've publicly admitted that.

Although they've never said the last thing... the iPhone 4 is NOT any easier to deal with. They are equally as stumped on it as the 3GS. If it were not for the Gevey and its clones, there would be NO unlock for the iPhone 4 w/2.10 or newer baseband at all.
    stumped? maybe?

but i think they've put less effort on the unlock after the $600 factory unlocked one came out...
    even comex somewhere said something about musclenerd's frustration on this...

Yeah, that's probably true that they're putting less effort into it. I get that sense from some of what they're saying on Twitter as well. I know if I'm stumped on something too long, I get tired of working on it and just want to move onto something else. That may be the case with them, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast