Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does Gevey Sim Work with 3gs?

Default Does Gevey Sim Work with 3gs?
    I have searched around and couldn't pinpoint the best answer. I have a 3gs with 4.2.1 05.15.04. I read somewhere that if I purchased a micro sim adapter that it would work with a 3gs. Is this true? Has anyone on MMI actually done this with a 3gs and did it work? Any GPS, Wifi, or other issues?

Thanks for your input.

To my knowledge, YES.

you would need a Micro Sim adapter though (which could be bought for a buck) in order to fit it as a standard sized sim.

I still have my 3GS and I will try it before I sell it. I'm just waiting on a SIM cutter tool to arrive from China. I suppose I could just cut up my SIM card with scissors, but I think the cutter will be helpful to make a Gevey adapter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    I still have my 3GS and I will try it before I sell it. I'm just waiting on a SIM cutter tool to arrive from China. I suppose I could just cut up my SIM card with scissors, but I think the cutter will be helpful to make a Gevey adapter as well.
    Please keep us posted on the results. I was curious if the baseband would be an issue, but it sounds like it won't. Seems to be a solution for about $30, so why aren't more people taking this route instead of waiting around for the 06.15.00 bb fix?

$30! I'll be trying it with my $5 fake Gevey, lol!
    I really don't know why no one has tried it yet. It seems a lot less scary to me than the potential risks and problems of 6.15.00.

Alright, I tried it and can confirm, my fake Gevey Pro most definitely does NOT work on the 3GS. I made a nice little adapter and everything.
    First, when it boots up, instead of showing the welcome message that you have to accept, it says "No SIM card installed". On the iPhone 4, after accepting the message, it's supposed to show 1 signal bar and then you dial 112. It never gets that far on the 3GS. I know it's making a good connection, because if I toggle Airplane Mode, it then can recognize the SIM, shows the ICCID, and shows the 1 signal bar. I thought to try dialing 112 anyway and following the rest of the instructions for the iPhone 4, but nothing happens that's supposed to happen. No "No SIM" message, no "SIM Failure" message, nothing but just the 1-bar.
    I tried so many times, rebooted so many times, I was worried the cops would eventually show up at my door (nothing so far, haha).

So I can conclusively say that a fake Gevey Pro definitely doesn't work in a 3GS and I doubt any Gevey real or fake will. I guess 3GS owners will have to stick with losing GPS and potential problems on 6.15.00.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

mikestightride (2011-06-17)

So GeveyPass can work with a 3G connection, but the question is, can it work with a 3G or 3GS iPhone? Unless it's been tried, I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    So GeveyPass can work with a 3G connection, but the question is, can it work with a 3G or 3GS iPhone? Unless it's been tried, I have my doubts.
    Good Question. Let's put the question out there to MMI members... Anyone actually tried the GeveyPass with an iPhone 3G or 3GS and got it to work successfully?

I sent an email to Jason from slickgate.com asking him if the geveypass that they sell will work with the 3GS and below was his response:

"3GS can't be unlocked via geveypass, it maybe unlocked via software.
    But I don't how to do that exactly."
    Last edited by mikestightride; 2011-06-17 at 08:08 PM.

if you look at the gevey product page, you can see that they have a gevey chip for the ip4, 3g and 2g. i would think the 3g one would work on the 3gs.

GEVEY PRODUCTS | GEVEY Turbo Sim

Unfortunately, the older Gevey chips like the 3G only works with old iOS versions. 2.2 in the case of the 3G one. They never updated it to work with 4.x.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I believe the page specifies 2G/3G as the type of data it supports. Gnat is right, the support for actual 3G/3GS devices stopped at 2.2. But yeah I have no idea if the one made for 4.x for iPhone 4 works with a 3GS or 3G. The basebands for iP4 and 3G/3GS are different, so I'm curious to know too if someone has successfully tried this.

I ordered a Gevey Pro to test it on an iphone 3gs 05.16.02 baseband.

Actually I got an email that said I will be receiving a Gevey Ultra instead because they ran out of the Pro's...(difference is I wouldn't need to press 112 after every reboot).

I'll let you know how it goes in a week (they're shipping it out on the 20th).

I'm not expecting much, but I'll have one ready for the iPhone 4, at least.
    Last edited by fraikonz; 2011-06-18 at 03:54 AM.

since the applenberry website is down, can someone tell us how much does the gevey pro or the gevey ultra cost? I have a 3gs and am interested, running 4.3.3 on 4.1 baseband...

also, it's the 20th now... they'd probably be shipping it out soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Gevey Pro is $28.00

I sent the following email to applenberry: "Many people on MMI forums are curious if a Gevey Pro or the like would work to unlock an iPhone 3GS. We know that it requires a micro sim adapter and a sim cutter, but just aren't sure if it will work with the 3GS. Please let me know and I will post the reponse online. Thanks"

I recieved the following response: "On 6/20/2011 3:58 PM, Sales wrote:
    Hello Customer, The Gevey Ultra is made specifically for the iPhone 4 only. Thank you!"

I have a feeling no SIM interposer designed for the iPhone 4 will work on a 3GS. The fact they're able to display menus and accept user input makes me feel like they're able to tap into the baseband OS. The iPhone 4 runs a different baseband OS (ThreadX) than the 3GS (Nucleus).

yea that makes sense, doesnt really hurt to try

Quote Originally Posted by fraikonz View Post
    I ordered a Gevey Pro to test it on an iphone 3gs 05.16.02 baseband.

Actually I got an email that said I will be receiving a Gevey Ultra instead because they ran out of the Pro's...(difference is I wouldn't need to press 112 after every reboot).

I'll let you know how it goes in a week (they're shipping it out on the 20th).

I'm not expecting much, but I'll have one ready for the iPhone 4, at least.
    @fraikonz - did you try the Gevey Ultra on your 3GS BB 05.16.02 and how did you get on?

Incredible, no one has figured out to solve the 05.16.02 BB unlock yet, be it dev-team or Gevey or others... (I know about iPad BB but many aren't willing to do this).

More incredible, AT&T refuses to unlock ANY iPhone. One would think with the competition of Verizon that they would open up for this sort of thing (even charge money for it) like several countries in Europe have including the UK.
    I guess they haven't developed that competition yet - or they have agreed not to do this for (obvious) reason.

Well, stuck with iPhone 3GS-iPod touch BB 05.16.02 FW 4.3.3.

BTW - see this
    GEVEY 112 Exploit works on iPhone 3GS Baseband 05.16.02 as well

However, looking at the Gevey Ultra sim card tray and sim card I can't work out how that Gevey sim would fit into a 3GS sim tray (even with an adapter) as the Gevey sim doesn't look like it can be cut?
    Last edited by MSFLFC; 2011-07-17 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add more info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast