Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Sim card won't Activate iPhone 2G?!?

Default AT&T Sim card won't Activate iPhone 2G?!?
    Ok, long story short, I jumped into my pool with my iPhone 3Gs. It's not working 100% (home and power buttons aren't working) so my friend let me borrow his iPhone 2G which he was using with t-mobile. Right before he gave his 2G to me, he restored it and now I can't activate it with my AT&T sim card.

I already tried restoring the 2G myself to see if anything would happen... nope. I've tried turning the phone off then back on, nothing. What's weird is that it says I'm getting AT&T reception and I just recieved a text a couple minutes ago but I can't reply back or anything because it's not activated.

So the question is, how can I activate this damn phone?
    Last edited by ensigma; 2011-06-02 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Weird. It should activate with a ATT sim I would think, unless it isnt a ATT iPhone originally. Have you tried taking it into ATT or Apple and asking them what is up with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Weird. It should activate with a ATT sim I would think, unless it isnt a ATT iPhone originally. Have you tried taking it into ATT or Apple and asking them what is up with it?
    No I haven't.. I just picked up the iPhone from my friend today. I might just drop by apple tomorrow after work if I survive this state of emergency tornado warning we are having.

Oh, my friend did get the iPhone while he was in Iraq but he managed to unlock it and use it with t-mobile some how. What other carriers carry iPhones?

Thanks

A lot of other carriers carry iPhones. If it is one of them then you will need to use redsnow 0.9.4 to jailbreak and hactivate it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ensigma (2011-06-03)

I've tried redsn0w 0.9.6, 0.9.5, and 0.9.4 and they all were "unable to recognize the specified IPSW"

I'm using IPSW for 2G 3.1.3 (iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw) cause I believe that was the latest firmware for 2G, or am I mistaken?

Thanks

You need to point redsnow 0.9.4 to a 3.1.2 firmware for it to work

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ensigma (2011-06-03)

Wow, thanks! That worked perfectly!! I just wished I took more time checking this thread then trying to figure it out on my own... It would have saved me a massive headache

THANKS!

This worked to unbrick my phone, but now it won't recognize my ATT sim that works great in my Moto Razr (ftw ).

Any thoughts?

WiFi seems spotty too, even though I'm 20 feet away from a honkin' router. Could be the phone is old and beat up, but it worked fine before I screwed it up with an aborted restore-from-jailbreak and put it away in a sock drawer six months ago.

I hard-rebooted it a couple of times, left it off for a while, etc.