Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My iP4 still factory unlocked! Bought unlocked, 2 weeks later applied carrier subsidy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default My iP4 still factory unlocked! Bought unlocked, 2 weeks later applied carrier subsidy.
    My iPhone 4 I think is still factory unlocked, I think. Tell me what you think.

Ok, here's the facts.

Bought my iP4 32Gb factory unlocked from the Apple store in Toronto, $779 or whatever. First day of release in Canada.

In a bit of buyers remorse, two weeks later, I went back to lock it to Roger's and save $500. I had to restore my firmware to wipe jailbreak (Jailbreakme.com), which put me from 4.0 to 4.0.1 ( i didn't save my blobs then, oops).

Without touching my device, they "returned" my iPhone to Apple by scanning the UPC on the box, resold it to me as a rogers subsidy, then went to the rogers web site and applied the carrier subsidy. All within the Apple store.

Now last week, I popped in my AT&T gophone SIM and BEFORE installing ultrasn0w, tried it. IT WORKED! WTF? went the rest of the trip with my "unlocked" rogers iPhone 4. No ultrasn0w. The AT&T rep who swapped my SIM to a micro SIM was saying "ultrasn0w", then was just as floored when it worked.

Should I be worried about upgrading firmware and baseband? Keep in mind I already went to 4.0.1 from without issue. Or am I factory unlocked forever? what do people think here? How is it tracked what is and isn't factory unlocked?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Any phone 4 bought in Canada is factory unlocked, you have a 3 yr contract with Rogers , that is why you get a subsidy

You don't have to worry about BB, you can upgrade to any OS and is still unlocked
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-24 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Any phone 4 bought in Canada is factory unlocked, you have a 3 yr contract with Rogers , that is why you get a subsidy

You don't have to worry about BB, you can upgrade to any OS and is still unlocked
    Needs to be more precise. Any iPhone 4 bought at an Apple Store in Canada for the full price is factory unlocked. However, if you buy the iPhone 4 at an Apple Store the FIRST TIME and say to the rep that a carrier is going to subsidy the phone then they will lock it right there and then to that particular carrier when you checkout. I know since I have an expensive Fido "iPod" 4 sitting on my desk while I'm using a Rogers N95 for the time being while waiting for a software unlock.

"They"/ROGERS or the Apple Rep who did your order after your phone was returned to the Apple Store probably screwed up which in turn makes you lucky.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipcharmer View Post

"They"/ROGERS or the Apple Rep who did your order after your phone was returned to the Apple Store probably screwed up which in turn makes you lucky.
    This is what I am thinking...lucky!

I'll play it safe until there is an untethered 4.2 jailbreak. If then it doesn't work with AT&T I can do a free SIM swap back to full-size SIM and use my soft unlocked 2G or 3G.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Go check your model , is it MC605C

I was being told at Rogers wireless store differently, he said even if you have a contract , it is factory unlocked unless the rep doesn't know anything about unlocks.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-25 at 10:09 AM.

Model # does not indicate whether or not your iPhone is unlocked or not.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Iphone 4 32gb Model MC605C/A Locked - ...

What tells you whether or not your phone is unlocked is the receipt. Aside from the obvious fact of trying different micro sims from other carriers.

UNLOCKED PHONE RECEIPT

LOCKED PHONE RECEIPT (LOOK AT THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Hmmm. Looks in a hole is the process. Wonder how long this will last ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipcharmer View Post
    What tells you whether or not your phone is unlocked is the receipt. Aside from the obvious fact of trying different micro sims from other carriers.

UNLOCKED PHONE RECEIPT

LOCKED PHONE RECEIPT (LOOK AT THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT)
    OK my first receipt looks like the first image. Mobile number:1234567890 and BAN:1111. I asked for a fully unlocked phone. There were some suckers who didn't listen and were paying $750 for a locked phone (but without contract, LOL like that matters if you're locked).

My second receipt (after returning to the apple store to apply the carrier subsidy) indeed looks like the last one. The only thing is the mobile # it was locked with was, within minutes, swapped for my own SIM. I haven't tried with another Canadian carrier's micro-SIM, but it sure as hell worked with AT&T gophone, on 3G, data and all! no Ultrasn0w.

I've upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1 while still officially unlocked, I had to erase the JB before bringing it back to the apple store in case they exchanged my phone (but they didnt). I'm on BB 01.59.00.

I'm just wondering if I should risk upgrading to 4.2.1 and the new baseband. Could apple lock my phone then?

If there is no answer, I'll upgrade once ultrasn0w is released for 4.2.1 and it's untethered for iP4. But for the sake of everyone here, I'll try it first with a Telus SIM without Ultrasn0w and report back here.

Once a phone is "factory" unlocked,it can't be relocked,what they should have done is take your phone and give you another one. You are lucky indeed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimilee View Post
    Once a phone is "factory" unlocked,it can't be relocked,what they should have done is take your phone and give you another one. You are lucky indeed.
    sweeeeeet!!!