Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G 4.0.2 Firmware 5.13.04

Default iPhone 3G 4.0.2 Firmware 5.13.04
    Can anyone please explain to me how to unlock this thing, if at all possible?

I've been trying to figure it out and I just can't do it. I think now that the OS 4.2 is out the unlock for this phone should follow at somepoint shortly?

But if anyone can explain to me (in an understandable way) what I need to do to get this phone working on tmobile I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You should be able to just use redsn0w 0.9.5 to jailbreak it and then ultrasn0w to unlock it. When using redsn0w you will need a copy of the 4.0 firmware to point it to.

However your best bet would be to get ahold of a pwnage tool made custom 4.1 firmware and use this guide: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12601

You will need to google for the firmware though as we cannot post custom firmware here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

jkincaid_ (2010-11-24)

The last time I tried to fix this I dloaded the 4.0 ipsw, and redsn0w wouldn't recognize it - said something like "cannot recognize the selected ipsw"

So I couldn't even jailbreak it. I am pretty bad at this stuff, so maybe I'm missing something really easy?

I'll check out the link you posted though...and thanks for your help.

Thanks

I fixed the link. Put the wrong one there. Sorry, the link is the right one now. You will be able to unlock on 4.1 using this method because it will preserve your baseband (5.13.04) which is unlockable.

I did everything in the link and it says" unable to recognize specified IPSW"

Anyone have any idea why that would happen? I'm using Windows...

Thanks

Make sure you are pointing redsnow to the regular 4.1 firmware. Not the custom one. Also make sure it downloaded as a .ipsw and not a .zip. If it is a zip file just rename the extension to .ipsw and try again.