Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice on removing unlock oniPhone 3g

Default Advice on removing unlock oniPhone 3g
    Hi,

I have an iPhone 3g which originally came with an O2sim, I jailbroke the 3g (OS 3.1.3) and used ultrasn0w to unlock the iphone so I could use a Virgin Mobile sim (UK). All is working fine however I want to upgrade the OS to 4.1 (app related) and possibly use another O2 sim I have that I have for a Blackberry contract (nolonger needed).

So I want to know;

1. Will all O2 sims work in the phone i.e. if I were to update the OS to 4.1, I know I can't unlock the phone but will it work with the Blackberry O2 contract sim?

2. If I were to deinstall Ultrasn0w unlock whilst on 3.1.3 to test the O2 sim, would there be any problems reapplying ultras0w if it doesn't work?

Cheers

Paul.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You could go to 4.0.1 via iTunes, get the baseband updated to 5.13.04 and then use PwnageTool to go to 4.1, preserving the baseband and remaining unlockable. I did that to my old 3G before I sold it to a friend.

RiotNrrrd,

Thanks for the reply but I don't have access to a MAC and I thought PwangeTool was for MAC only. I assume there is no windows version?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes it's Mac-only (not MAC - MAC == Media Access Control).

I could swear there is a Windows-equivalent tool that allows you to similarly upgrade using a custom IPSW that preserves the baseband, though.

Doesn't sn0wbreeze?

You'd have to get a trusted IPSW though.

Going back to my first question is there any reason why unistalling ultrasn0w and then reinstalling it back on the same OS wouldn't work? This way I could test the other sim and if it worked just upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak it again with no future need for an unlock.

Is it worth a try?