Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3Gs unlock question

Default 3Gs unlock question
    Sorry if the answer to this is somewhere out there already. I can't find it, and I've looked (at read this: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737...g-3gs-4-a.html)

Anyway,

I want to unlock my 3GS (iOS 4.0). The info on it is as follows (from f0recast):
    Baseband: 05.13.04
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Jailbreakable: Yes (With JailbreakMe)
    Unlockable: Already Unlocked

This phone is not currently jailbroken. why it reads as unlocked, i don't know. Can I just use jailbreakme then ultrasn0w? In general, do you need to downgrade to 3.1 to unlock? Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Use jailbreakme 2.0 from Safari on your iphone and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

You don't have to downgrade and you can't if you wanted to.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-20 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

bootlucky (2010-11-20)

i'm impressed with your response speed iyeow!

any idea why it says already unlocked? Also, is there somewhere i should have found this info before having to post?

Thanks

When you first open up Cydia, Click Yes to make my life easier, so all future shsh blogs will be saved for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

bootlucky (2010-11-20)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Is this a factory unlocked phone then? Otherwise ultrasn0w isn't needed. Another user posted his f0recast stats on his new never jb 3GS and it said unlocked already. He got a factory unlocked without knowing it.

Thanks

Well, without jailbreak , are you able to put a different sim and get service. If you do get service this way, then you may have a factory unlock. Or you can go to Setting > Carrier > it will search for GSM, if it finds more than one carrier, then it is a factory unlock, if not , then it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlucky View Post
    i'm impressed with your response speed iyeow!

any idea why it says already unlocked? Also, is there somewhere i should have found this info before having to post?
    You are NOW in 911 EMERGENCY FORUM ..
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-20 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Only AT&T is listed as the carrier. To my knowledge, this isn't factory unlocked, but I'm not sure I would know if it was anyway.

Two more questions. I can't find a specific answer to these by searching, but it may be because they are stupid questions.

I'm running iOS 4.0 right now, but do not have the 4.0 SHSH blobs saved. Is it possible to do a restore to 4.0?

If it isn't possible, what's the best way to do a wipe? I plan on selling this at some point and I want to get my personal info off of it.
    Last edited by bootlucky; 2010-11-22 at 03:54 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes you need SHSHs even to restore to the current firmware you are on.

You have two options to wipe the phone. Restore to 4.1 with a custom fw to preserve the baseband if that is your goal, so sell it unlocked. Or delete all your stuff off the phone manually.

I'm now Jailbroken with jailbreakme and unlocked with ultrasn0w, what options do i have for creating a custom 4.1 firmware I'm running windows)? My understanding is that sn0wbreeze does not work with a the jailbreakme JB. thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

The new snowbreeze 2.1 will work with any device regardless of how you are jailbroken now. However if you have access to a Mac a pwnage tool made custom 4.1 will give you a lot less problems.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

bootlucky (2010-11-22)

Thanks... I don't have easy mac access at this point. I could borrow a computer, but i feel like that could be a pain if i need to re-restore it.

Thanks

You just need to get hold of a custom 4.1 firmware made with pwnage. You can restore to that on windows with the help of redsnow. You can google for it or PM iYeow. He may be able to send you one.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bootlucky View Post
    ...I'm running iOS 4.0 right now, but do not have the 4.0 SHSH blobs saved. Is it possible to do a restore to 4.0?
    Not possible to restore to 4.0.

Apple is currently supplying 4.1 SHSH blobs, so you are not required to do anything special for 4.1. Note: but you WILL need it in the future - guaranteed!!

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    You just need to get hold of a custom 4.1 firmware made with pwnage. You can restore to that on windows with the help of redsnow. You can google for it or PM iYeow. He may be able to send you one.
    OK, I've got more questions... I do appreciate all the help by the way.

Anyway, here goes:

I got my hands on a Mac, and made a custom ipsw file, however i chose the "do not activate" option (i realize now that I should have). Anyway, I restored to that using itunes and it worked, except the phone says "activating, this may take a while".

So, I then made a new ipsw and chose the activate option. When I tried to restore to that, it gave me a 21 error. So, at this point, I was back on 4.1, jailbroken but not activated.

Next, I made another custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze and restored to that with iTunes, which worked fine.

Then I reread this post and saw that I should have used redsn0w to restore to the custom firmware made with pwnage. I downloaded redsn0w. When I ran redsn0w, it asked for the current firmware. I tried to select the custom firmware i made with pwnage, but that didn't work so i gave it the unedited firmware and ran it.

That's where it stands right now. I guess I'm wondering if how I got to where the phone is now matters? I have cydia on my phone, so i know the jailbreak remains. I forgot to check last night, but I'm pretty sure the baseband remained the same. I'm on 4.1 software.

Thanks

If you are passed the emergency screen then you are activated. Dont worry about that popup, it will go away the first time you get signal.

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Just so I'm not missing something, how does redsnow help me restore to that custom firmware?

Thanks

redsnow puts the phone in pwned dfu so that itunes will restore the custom firmware to the phone. If you didnt do this you would get a 16XX error when trying to restore to the custom firmware.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

bootlucky (2010-12-09)

OK. I used redsnow to put into pwned dfu mode and i'm restoring to custom firmware now. I'm wondering out of curiousity and future endeavors what happened when I ran a redsnow jailbreak? I didn't get any errors and it seemed to load everything. Is it possible that redsnow is now able to jailbreak 4.1? Or did it just keep the old jailbreak i had on it and now do anything? Maybe the cydia version wouldn't have worked... just curious. thanks again for all the help.. i'm jailbroken with pwnage tool created custom firmware right now, so thanks!

Thanks

redsnow has been able to jailbreak 4.1 for a while now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast