Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking iPhone 3GS

Exclamation Unlocking iPhone 3GS
    Hi everyone,
    I need help unlocking my iPhone 3gs. I've had my ipod touch jailbreaked for over a year now and works just fine (<3 it!). Recently i got an iphone 3gs which is network locked to vodafone. i tried unlocking with ultrsn0w but im getting the no service thing everytime. can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Matt

You need to let everyone know what version of iOS and modem firmware you have on the phone. Then we can give you some guidance.

MB

Oh yes what an idiot haha. I forgot to include that. Its on 4.1 with and 05.14.02 firmware.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

If you read the Sub-Forum "Unlocking / Activation" here, you'll see that many people, including myself, are waiting for the official release of iOS 4.2.1 so that the current baseband (05.14.02) can be unlocked. Once iOS 4.2.1 is released by Apple, DO NOT upgrade your phone via iTunes!

The Dev Team will release an unlock tool (PwnageTool among others) to install 4.2.1 while keeping the 05.14.02 baseband and unlocking the phone. You'll create a custom firmware using this software, but you'll have to wait until it's updated to support this version.

Anyone who updates to 4.2.1 via iTunes will lose their unlock - the baseband (modem firmware) will most likely be updated to a version that can't be unlocked yet, and you can't downgrade the baseband with a 3GS. So hold off on any Apple updates, be patient, and help will arrive in a few days.

MB

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

++1

Unlockers must be extra careful when updating firmware.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Take the precaution of saving your SHSHs now so in the future you can avoid getting locked out. If you save them now, you'll get SHSHs for 4.1 and up. If ever in need of a restore and you want to avoid upgrading the baseband in the future, you'll be able to restore to 4.1 without a problem.

Go to thefirmwareumbrella.org and download TinyUmbrella. Then click the "Save SHSH" option. It will from now on save all SHSHs that become available from 4.1 and up.