Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a newbie guide?

Default Is there a newbie guide?
    I just bought a used 3GS that is still locked. I want to unlock it for use with T-Mobile. I don't even know how to find out which version of the firmware I have, because when I power the phone up, I'm told "No SIM Card installed. Insert a valid SIM card with no pin lock to activate iPhone."

Is there a workaround for this so I can see where I am (like inserting my T-Mo sim)? Or is there a guide for absolute newbies?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If it is not in emergency screen, then you can go to setting > general > about , to find out.
    If you are in Emergency Screen, I am sure you can ask the seller where is this iphone from and what firmware it has. Why did you buy something that doesn't have any info from the seller.

Inserting a T-mobile sim card is definitely out of the question. If you are in the states, it is probably an ATNT iphone.
    You can restore to a custom firmware of 4.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.1 , use expert mode and check the activate my iphone. Make sure you update your itunes to 10.1.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-11-17 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2010-11-17 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Put your iphone into recovery mode and use usbview to check what bootrom you have. If it is the new bootrom, then when building your custom firmware, you will have to check mark ibooty.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Yeow, sn0wbreeze 2.1 no longer needs ibooty for new bootrom. It has been updated to use the limera1n exploit so is good to go on all devices without help from ibooty.

Holy crap, this stuff is confusing.

Okay, firmware 4.1, baseband 05.14.02. Using the tutorial at iclarified.com, I ran limera1n on it but didn't end up with a Cydia icon; instead it's telling me to check my Internet connection. Everything else is good, though.

But before I waste any more time on this, will I be able to unlock this phone to use with T-Mo with the baseband version it has?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Right now, no. There is no unlock for that baseband. But there should be at some point this month.