Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 4 still on 4.0.1. Go to 4.1 now, or wait for 4.2?

  1. #1
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lost Androideles
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Question iPhone 4 still on 4.0.1. Go to 4.1 now, or wait for 4.2?
    My iPhone 4 (baseband 01.59.00) is still on its original 4.0.1, JB via JailbreakMe.COM and unlocked with ultrasn0w 1.1.

    I've got every SHSH blob known to Mankind for it - 4.0.1/4.0.2/4.1/4.2b3, from Apple and from Cydia. Like 10 files. lol

    I've been wondering whether to go to 4.1 via PwnageTool 4.1.2 now, leaving the baseband at 01.59.00, or at this point should I just wait to see how 4.2 falls out, particularly with respect to being able to JB/unlock on baseband 02.10.04?

    In other words, if post-4.2 baseband 02.14.00 becomes unlockable, I would think my best strategy would be to update to 4.1 in iTunes via Option-Restore to get up to 02.10.04, and then go to 4.2 via PwnageTool 4.x (whatever version gets released to work with iOS 4.2).

    Any strong opinions either way? Yes, I realize I could do both but I don't see any real point in installing 4.1 twice (now and post-4.2).
    Last edited by RiotNrrrd; 2010-11-14 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo in baseband #

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    I would imagine the unlock will work for the new 4.2 baseband (if any). That's why they're waiting for 4.2 to be released.

  3. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lost Androideles
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    I thought I read somewhere that 4.2 will contain a new baseband for the iPhone 4 - that it's going from 02.14.00 to 03.NN.NN or something.

    Obviously if the baseband is not updated from 02.14.00 then I can kill two birds with one Pwn err stone

  4. #4
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You are on the right track, I agree with you.

  5. #5
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lost Androideles
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    @yeow202 - which right track? (I asked an either/or question)

  6. #6
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You can go with Pwnage tools to get you to 4.1 and then pwnage tools again to get you to 4.2 while preserving your baseband.

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lost Androideles
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    True, but my thinking was more like, if post-4.2 there is an unlock for 02.14.00 then I should just wait until then, go to 4.1 via iTunes to get from 01.59.00 -> 02.14.00, and then PwnageTool to get to 4.2 while keeping 02.14.00.

    My general feeling is that the closer you are to the most current baseband (while keeping on one that is still unlockable), the better. I was just wondering if there were any issues that might weigh the decision one way or the other (I'm inclined to skip 4.1 entirely, if I didn't say so in my OP).

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    I would upgrade to 4.2 through pwnagetool without updating your baseband once your apps start requiring it. I am still on 4.0.1 and am sitting tight until my favorite apps start griping about my firmware being too low. You can always move up later once an unlock has been available and proven glitch free.

  9. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lost Androideles
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    That's true, and I tend to be cautious (like you, CaptainChaos) - my 3G was still on 3.0.1 when 3.1.3 was released - but I guess I'm anticipating that some apps might become 4.2-only and being 2 major baseband releases behind doesn't seem like a good long-term strategy, ergo I'm thinking of trying to keep more in step with current releases.

    Anyway, it looks like there aren't any strong opinions either way so I will probably be lazy and just wait to see what happens with the post-4.2 shakeout

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •