Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ok so I have a question? :)

Default Ok so I have a question? :)
    Now that AT&T isn't going to be the exclusive carrier for the Iphone do you think it would make sense for apple to keep upgrading the baseband???? to keep locking the phone? as according to rumors, they'll probably be in all carriers?

Isn't a baseband upgrade also for improvement??
    Who the hell thanked me? And why?????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Basebands also contain updated carrier bundles for improved tower communication, Bluetooth, and WIFI. The baseband is the entire firmware that runs the radio chip.

I understand that they upgrade the baseband for improved tower communication, carrier bundles and so on .... But do they have to keep locking it to prevent us to use it with Tmobile ??? I mean AT&T isnt going to be the exclusive carrier anymore so it would make sence to update the baseband but they seem to always cover the hole to prevent us from unlocking, since they won't have an exclusive carrier anymore it would make sence to allow us to remain unlocked wouldn't it ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

They keep locking it is because ATNT is the only carrier provider for iphones.
    If Apple opens up to T-mobile too, then all iphones sold in USA will be factory unlock , so you can choose your own carrier. You can then purchase it at full price without contract or pay subsidised price with contracts.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    They keep locking it is because ATNT is the only carrier provider for iphones.
    If Apple opens up to T-mobile too, then all iphones sold in USA will be factory unlock , so you can choose your own carrier. You can then purchase it at full price without contract or pay subsidised price with contracts.
    I would say if you guys do get another carrier (as we have here in the UK) your phones will still be locked to the carrier, but you will be able to buy an factory unlocked handset as we can here.

I do believe if you have a "carrier locked" iPhone in the UK you can pay a small fee around 15 to the current provider to unlock it.

Anyway my point is if you get the phone on a contract no matter what it will be locked to the provider. But you will have the choice to buy a handset contract free which will be unlocked.

Hope that made sense.

When you buy a $600 phone for $199 ATT needs someway of ensuring you keep to the terms of the contract. They recover the subsidy that they give you on the phone from your monthly payments.

This is perfectly reasonable and is done by most carriers even in Europe. What is unusual about the US is that Apple does not sell full price unlocked phones at the Apple store.

This is the only thing I would expect to change if Competition is opened up in the US for the Iphone. ATT should also be willing to unlock the phone at the end of your two year contract.

There is one additional change I would like to see. If ATT is subsidizing your $199 phone and you are paying them $20 per month on your usage charges for this, I should be able with my unlocked phone to purchase that same plan for $20 less. This is how it works in the UK.

Your monthly fee for the same service is determined by (1) Do you have a Full price phone. (2) Are you willing to commit to a contract. (3) How long are you willing to commit for 12m 18m or 24m.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-11-13 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info added