Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.1 Unlocking

Default 4.1 Unlocking
    OK, I am well familiar that 4.1 is not unlockable yet, but if the 4.2 unlock is ready, why the hell are they holding out, I mean chances are the iPhone community are not going to update to 4.2 till we all know for sure all the kinks are out of the jailbreaking softwware.

So why make us wait? I have a little unlocking / jailbreaking side business here and I have loads of customers waiting for that pesky 4.1 version of ultrasn0w.

I heard the 7th, now the 10th, now sometime this month... cmon people, give us the damn unlock already....

I understand that the people who made these, geohot, bigboss, etc.. deserve the credit for these projects and without them, jailbreaking would not be possible, but now they are just teasing us.. ha ha we got it, we can release any time, but we will make you all suffer for now... its like using a laser pointer on a kitten (which is wicked fun)...

anyone get what Im trying to say?

Don't get your point about releasing it now. They want the unlock to work on 4.2 as well as 4.1 so they won't release it before 4.2 is released or then apple gets the chance to patch it and all the people who "accidently" upgraded to 4.2 moan that there's no unlock for 4.2 either.

Wondering when the unlock will release, i really depress to unlock my phone....

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

They are not teasing people. I can guarantee you when 4.2 comes out, these forums will be filled with "help, I accidentally upgraded to 4.2, how do I downgrade to unlock?". That is going to be prevented by releasing the unlock when 4.2 is released. Releasing it now will allow Apple to patch the exploit and therefor the unlock won't work on 4.2. And then there will be people who accidentally upgraded and can't unlock. So instead of accusing the devs of being selfish, think of them as considerate. If released when 4.2 comes out, there will be a long period where everyone can just hit upgrade and unlock very, very easily. Instead of sitting here trying to upgrade to 4.2 without updating the baseband because the unlock was released too early and Apple patched it.

True, however what is to say that when 4.2 goes live, the unlock is released, apple discovers the exploit, then release 4.2.1 or something, blocking said exploit, then the cycle would start all over again...

There will always be people who "accidently" update, and there will always be people wanting to downgrade, I mean, 4.0.2 works just fine for jailbreaks and unlocks, yet they wish to downgrade to 3.1.2 or something.

Doesnt matter if it is released now or later, it will meet the same sticky end... with 4.3 lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

-.- whether it is going to repeat cycle or not, which it obviously will, the ideal time to release is 4.2. Not to mention even if an unlock is currently working, it takes time to work out the bugs. I'd rather have an unlock that's been fully tested and bug-free than one that's half-baked.

Aside from that, complaining doesn't help it's just people pissing themselves off. If we all just sat patiently and waited, we would feel better through the wait. Or you could just switch to AT&T and not worry about the unlock. Feels darn good for me to just click upgrade and jailbreak and have phone service without unlocking but that's just me, ha.

You're sounding very impatient and ungrateful:
    "I heard the 7th, now the 10th, now sometime this month... cmon people, give us the damn unlock already...."

They spend their time providing you with a STABLE jailbreaking/unlocking tool as best they can absolutely FREE The least you can do is just wait, I'm sure they have lives too beyond coding. Also, it's to prevent Apple from patching it before they release iOS 4.2. If they did, a lot of their hard work will go to waste and it'll cause problems for newcomers in unlocking etc.

Also, I think this "business" of yours is causing you to be so impatient. I also dont think BigBoss develop codes in assist for the Cronic Dev Team or Geohot etc...
    VinhSon Nguyen
    Motion Graphics Designer

If I helped you in any way, please don't hesitate to click the "Thanks" button!

The long and short of it is that these guys are producing free tools so you can have your little business. You can't complain whatever they decide to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

RiotNrrrd (2010-11-11)

I hope u not waiting on ip4 unlock because u not going to get it. Only 3G and 3GS coming next week.

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    I hope u not waiting on ip4 unlock because u not going to get it. Only 3G and 3GS coming next week.
    Only have come across a couple 4s, both of them were running 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 respectively, most of what I have came across were 3GS

I was not complaining by the way, I was just commenting, that if its ready, release it to the masses... that is all

So you're trying to make money off people who provide you with free services? Plus, you can't even be patient at that. You're one selfish SOB.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

The iphone dev team are the only ones currently developing unlocks right now. Geohot has done so in the past. Everyone else (bigboss/chronic dev etc) have nothing to do with the unlocks.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's true, where would you be with your business without the devs? Unless you're going to give them part of the profit on every phone you jb/unlock, you really don't have a right to "comment" in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by puma.leaf View Post
    It's true, where would you be with your business without the devs? Unless you're going to give them part of the profit on every phone you jb/unlock, you really don't have a right to "comment" in this manner.
    Well said!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to foreverjoe2012 For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (2010-11-12)

You're charging people for connecting the phone to your computer and clicking one button, then putting a source on there on Cydia? Are you kidding me?

That's just wrong.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-12 at 02:50 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Let's keep it clean Rubido. It's ok to be upset, but watch your language in the forums ok? Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubido View Post
    You're charging people for connecting the phone to your computer and clicking one button, then putting a source on there on Cydia? Are you kidding me?

That's just wrong.
    Not defending his comment, but we all know it can sometimes take a lot more than a simple button press and adding a cydia source to get a iphone unlocked. Just check the jailbreak/upgrading/downgrading section and you will see tons of people with all different scenarios who need to take different routes to jailbreak/unlock which can get very confusing. Some people dont want to get into all of this so find it easier to pay someone to do the legwork for them. I dont see the harm in that.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with you x98car. I too accept iPhones from people and help them get to 4.1 without breaking their unlockability. The difference is, I don't publicly gripe about the unlock not being released when people bring me an officially updated 4.1 iPhone. These tools are free, and I gladly wait for it patiently because of that. I also gladly donate to the devs because of their hard work.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Simon (2010-11-12)

Thanks

In 100% agreement with you Annie (btw is it still ok to call you that or would you rather the new nick?). These guys that do the unlocks/jailbreaks should be praised for what they do, not bothered by others. I too donate to them whenever I can and will never bug these guys for what they do, I am just thankful that they do what they do. Otherwise the iphone would be a lot less interesting than it is

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Lol Annie is fine. I'm glad you recognized me tho. But yeah, I don't like it when people get mad about the unlock not being released. I got a taste of that and got majorly pissed haha. Remember my jailbreak guide? Yeah I couldn't get a chance to update it till a week after 4.1 tools were released, and somebody was criticizing me for not updating (even tho it was in the OP just not in the actual guide). So I really feel for the devs now b/c they have 100x's more than what I had to deal with. Donate, wait, and be grateful is all I can say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast