Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with Unlocking iPhone 3G 8GB and another question. Thanks in Advance!

Default Help with Unlocking iPhone 3G 8GB and another question. Thanks in Advance!
    Hi All,

I need a really simple explanation on how to unlock my iPhone 3G 8GB. I am using Version 3.1.2 (7d11) and my modem firmware is 05.11.07. I jailbroke it about a year ago using BlackRa1n.

The other question that I have is, can I install the Apple updates with it Jailbroken or will it reset my phone, OR even cause it to malfunction? I haven't done an Apple update since I jailbroke it. I always decline the update, but it seems that 4.0 is important to have. I do have a 3G phone so I'm not sure how necessary it is.

Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can use ultrasn0w to unlock it. A update will erase any jailbroken data and will update the baseband which there is no unlock to right now (but will be soon). However 4.0 and up runs really slow on a 3G so I would suggest just stay where you are and unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes - iOS 4.x really slows 3g down although Apple is claiming that 4.2 will speed it up. Please make sure that you preserve your baseband in whatever you do in case you want an unlock.

You should wait for pwnagetool to be updated for 4.2 and go straight to that. Check back in about 1 week.

Hey there, as suggested, stay at 3.1.2 firmware until 4.2 firmware is confirmed stable and safe to upgrade/jailbreak/unlock.

Go ahead and install ultrasn0w from Cydia, which should unlock your iPhone with a breeze. Be sure to use TinyUmbrella or Cydia to save your SHSH blobs just in case you need to downgrade. Best of luck!
    VinhSon Nguyen
    Motion Graphics Designer

If I helped you in any way, please don't hesitate to click the "Thanks" button!