Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Unlock PLEASE HELP URGENTLY

Question iPhone 3G Unlock PLEASE HELP URGENTLY
    I'm going to buy, in less than an hour, a black 16GB iPhone 3G. It has been updated to 4.1, and now it is in recovery mode because the seller erased it.

My question is, I have T-Mobile, will I be able to unlock it? It's really confusing to find the answer online.

I appreciate ANY response! Thank you very much in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You probably wont be able to unlock it right now if it is on 4.1. But a new unlock is supposed to be coming out this month so you shouldnt have too long of a wait.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ez53436 (2010-11-06)

is there a guarantee that a 4.1 unlock will be coming out? and also is there a way i could downgrade?

thanks

Thanks

Unless the phone is for a really, really good deal, it wouldn't hurt to wait and look for one that hasn't been updated to 4.1. 4.1 contains a baseband that cannot currently be unlocked, but as x98car stated, it may be coming out this month (though you never know, no guarantees).

You can downgrade the phone to 3.1.3 but the baseband (which determines if your iPhone can be unlocked) will remain the same.

Until the unlock is released, you'll be stuck with an expensive iPod Touch. I hope you have an old phone you can use temporarily.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I would say it is a safe bet a new unlock will be coming out very soon after 4.2 comes out. You could downgrade but that wont help you unlock it. Only a very small percentage of iphone 3G can downgrade baseband as well, which is what you would need to unlock. You can download f0recast to check if the iphone is one of these or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you are not in a hurry to unlock and use it and the price is good, i would say go for it, otherwise NO