Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activating iPhone4 on OS4.1

Default Activating iPhone4 on OS4.1
    Hey guys, so here's the situation. I purchased an iPhone4 a couple of days ago, went to meet the guy, checked it out, all functions seemed to work fine. The individual showed me that he was on the Fido network and the possibility of it being unlocked didn't even strike me. So after I had paid him and we parted ways, I booted the phone back up to play around with it, but I was faced with the passcode screen. I had not locked the phone while testing so I hadn't seen it and I tried to contact him right away. It has been 2 days and I haven't gotten ahold of him since so I ended up restoring the device this morning. Now I can't seem to get the phone activated at all. I've tried Bell, Telus, Fido, and Rogers SIM's and they all return an error in iTunes stating that it is incompatible and that I should put in the SIM that came with my phone. Am I out of luck at this point and the owner of an expensive paperweight or is there hope still? I've been looking into "hacktivating" but haven't been able to find a phonecard SIM in the Toronto area as yet. Any other solutions? From what I remembered of my 3G experience, all it took to activate was a SIM from the carrier that the device is locked to, regardless of SIM being active or not. Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance to anyone that helps me resolve this issue.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Restore the phone to 4.1. Run TinyUmbrella's TSS server to prevent the baseband from upgrading if you need to unlock.

After restoring to 4.1, run Limera1n or Greenpois0n on it. Doesn't matter which, both will hacktivate.

Then you can unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia.

If you run into YouTube problems after, go to Cydia and add "Cydia.pushfix.info" and install the YouTube fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Restore the phone to 4.1. Run TinyUmbrella's TSS server to prevent the baseband from upgrading if you need to unlock.

After restoring to 4.1, run Limera1n or Greenpois0n on it. Doesn't matter which, both will hacktivate.

Then you can unlock with Ultrasn0w in Cydia.

If you run into YouTube problems after, go to Cydia and add "Cydia.pushfix.info" and install the YouTube fix.
    So what you are saying is I can jailbreak without a SIM in it, or even if it is at the "Connect to iTunes" screen? That's exactly what I haven't been able to get past. If that is true, please let me know and I will try it right away. As for baseband, I've already upgraded without preserving baseband so I'll just have to wait to unlock but I want to know that I can at least get the phone up and running to play around and tweak. Thanks

Just download limera1n and run it, another thing is host file in your pc, you have to open it with notepad and delete one line with apple, good luck, don't panic, very often things like this happening

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashrafnisar View Post
    So what you are saying is I can jailbreak without a SIM in it, or even if it is at the "Connect to iTunes" screen? That's exactly what I haven't been able to get past. If that is true, please let me know and I will try it right away. As for baseband, I've already upgraded without preserving baseband so I'll just have to wait to unlock but I want to know that I can at least get the phone up and running to play around and tweak. Thanks
    Ok well since you're already on 4.1, all you need to do is run either Limera1n or Greenpois0n to get past that emergency call screen and jb your phone.

For future reference, this is called hacktivating, meaning you don't use an official SIM to activate the phone to gain access.

Limera1n and greepois0n both hacktivate so whichever tool you choose will work the same.

Quote Originally Posted by narsytojas View Post
    Just download limera1n and run it, another thing is host file in your pc, you have to open it with notepad and delete one line with apple, good luck, don't panic, very often things like this happening
    No host file editing is necessary in this scenario. Good response tho, keep up the good work
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-04 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Success! Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread in an attempt to help me. It didn't work on three different computers but the fourth one was the charm. Thanks again for the help.