Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3g 4.0.1 05.13.04 Upgrade to 4.1

Default Iphone 3g 4.0.1 05.13.04 Upgrade to 4.1
    Hi

I have tried searching the boards but not sure of this. My wife's Iphone 3g is running very sluggish and I want to at least restore it to factory settings and re-jailbreak and unlock it as we are TMobile users. The phone is on 4.0.1 and all SHSH blobs are saved from 4.0 and higher. I have been able to gather that I am unable to update to 4.1 as I would lose my unlock or would I since the baseband is 05.13.04 and bootloader is 6.2. This is what I am unsure of. Can someone tell me if I can jailbreak and unlock and preserve the baseband or do I need to wait for Pawnage Tool as I am on Windows. If not, does any one have suggestions on why the phone runs sluggish (sliding menus take a couple of touches, programs open slowly, etc) Thanks!

Ricky

You can restore a 3G to FW 3.1.3 and then jb with jailbreakme.com and unlock with ultrasn0w. Yr phone will run better on this FW, and there is no problem restoring a 3G to version 3.

4.1 was supposed to include a fix for iOS 4 on 3G to speed things up. It's still supposed to be slower than 3.x but if you want to get to the latest firmware but don't have access to a Mac, then you can use snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware for 4.1 then unlock again with ultrasnow.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can update to 4.1 IF you use a custom-built IPSW (with PwnageTool 4.1.2 or Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2). Custom IPSW's do NOT update the baseband, just be careful to shift/click (or option/click Mac) and select the custom firmware. Also note: Apple is currently signing 4.1, so you have no SHSH blob issues with loading. Also note, if you need activation (T-Mobile user), then PwnageTool 4.1.2 is a bit better than Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 because it contains the latest fixes for hacktivation (YouTube, Push, etc).
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-01 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks

The upgrade to 4.1 makes the iphone 3 a pleasure to use again, but if you need to stay JB and unlocked, i personally would recommend going back to 4.0.1
    unklbyl

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unklbyl View Post
    The upgrade to 4.1 makes the iphone 3 a pleasure to use again, but if you need to stay JB and unlocked, i personally would recommend going back to 4.0.1
    IOS 4.1 fixes the bugs on 4.0.1 for 3g