Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lost unlock on 3GS iOS4

Default Lost unlock on 3GS iOS4
    this morning I was playing around with iFile, and I accidentally deleted an important file. This sent my phone into recovery mode, now it is in a loop. Yes, I know if I update to 4.1 I can't unlock it. My question is, if I download PwnageTool on the computer at school tomorrow to preserve the baseband, then downgrade (I have shsh's for 4.0, 4.0.1 & 4.0.2) will it work?

Thanks.

EDIT
    One other question: is it possible for me to shift+restore to use a custom firmware to downgrade?
    Last edited by KidPoetic; 2010-10-31 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KidPoetic View Post
    this morning I was playing around with iFile, and I accidentally deleted an important file. This sent my phone into recovery mode, now it is in a loop. Yes, I know if I update to 4.1 I can't unlock it. My question is, if I download PwnageTool on the computer at school tomorrow to preserve the baseband, then downgrade (I have shsh's for 4.0, 4.0.1 & 4.0.2) will it work?

Thanks.

EDIT
    One other question: is it possible for me to shift+restore to use a custom firmware to downgrade?
    Since you have SHSH sved you have many options. You can restore to 4.0.1 and jailbreak with jailbreakme.com and unlock with ultrasn0w. You can also create a custom 4.1 firmware with pwnage tool and option restore to it. However, you must use pwnage tool to put the phone in DFU and then close pwnage and open itunes and option restore to custom firmware.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

KidPoetic (2010-10-31)

thanks for replying =)

I was under the impression that shsh blobs wouldn't really help me because I also need the phone unlocked, but I may be wrong. How exactly do I restore to 4.0.1? When I did the shift thing (at the moment I'm on a windows pc, but I can get access to a mac tomorrow) I got a 1600 error.

To restore to 4.0.1 for you is very simple. First get Tiny Umbrella and run it with your phone plugged in. If your SHSH are already on your PC you will see them displayed if not select get SHSH and it will get all the ones that you have on file with CYDIA and load them to your machine. You can then download a copy of the IPSW for 4.0.1 from here Firmware - The iPhone Wiki. Then start the TSS server on Tiny umbrella and do an Option Restore to select the 4.0.1 IPSW on MAC or a Shift Restore on windows. Make sure TSS is running if it fails to start you have something else running on port 80 such as a Web server or SKYPE etc.

This will restore your 3GS to 4.0.1 and you can then jailbreak and unlock. Be careful you do not want to do a normal restore it will upgrade your baseband make sure you select the 4.0.1 ipsw.

it says "the iPhone cannot be restored. An unknown error occured. (1604)"

what do I do?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

As nebo1ss suggested ... what about going to 4.1 using PwnageTool 4.1.2?

You get the latest while preserving the baseband. And since Apple is currently signing 4.1, you don't need TinyUmbrella. Errors are usually caused by trying to restore without being in DFU mode. DFU using PwnageTool IS REQUIRED because it injects some special code.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-10-31 at 08:26 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

KidPoetic (2010-10-31)

Quote Originally Posted by KidPoetic View Post
    it says "the iPhone cannot be restored. An unknown error occured. (1604)"

what do I do?
    Need some more information. Did you get the SHSH files downloaded successfully. Did TSS server start correctly. Did you get the IPSW from the Iphone wiki.

Did you put the phone in DFU mode?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

KidPoetic (2010-10-31)

thanks to both of you guys! I am now running iOS 4.0.1 and am in the process of rejailbreaking & re-unlocking my iPhone. I just activated it with my aunt's sim card & everything looks good to go. thank you!

woot for shsh blobs!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Glad you're up and running. With PwnageTool and SHSH blobs saved you have several options, including 4.1 if you can handle the latest and greatest (haha)

Yeah, I'm up & running. You guys saved me from a lot of hassle. I had a scholarship essay on my phone, and I was here freaking out.

Thank you to both of you =D