Results 1 to 19 of 19

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T activation

  1. #1
    Default AT&T activation
    Ok, so I had a bunch of old AT&T sim cards lying around so I thought I'd have a clear out on eBay. I'm pretty sure they were all tested as I used them when I activated the phones they came with.

    Anyway, one guy has come back to me with the following message. I've no other details, what do you think he's doing wrong?

    Hi my sim arrived today(Saturday)tried to activate my iphone but it came up that I had to contact AT&T so I called them and after an hour and a half they said it was an active business sim so it wouldn't activate my iphone. I don't want to give you bad feedback as the service was excellent.

  2. #2
    Where any of the sim card ever used at any point in time? so they can only be activated once so even if it was good at one point and working it can be switch and activate with a new number.

    I am guess the buyer is doing nothing wrong it's just an already been used sim

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Where any of the sim card ever used at any point in time? so they can only be activated once so even if it was good at one point and working it can be switch and activate with a new number.

    I am guess the buyer is doing nothing wrong it's just an already been used sim
    That's not true. They can activate unlimited phones.

  4. #4
    Wrong once a sim card is active it's attached to that number once the that number switches cards or cancels the sim card is fried and lost and can't be reactivated.

  5. #5
    That's simply not true - maybe for iPhone 4?

    We're only talking about the initial activation of the iphone - not using the phone with AT&T.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-31 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    That's simply not true - maybe for iPhone 4?

    We're only talking about the initial activation of the iphone - not using the phone with AT&T.
    Ok sorry I missed aline in the text lol. But the only thing I can think of is that he is trying to activate a 2g iPhone maybe?

  7. #7
    How does a 2G get activated?

  8. #8
    Through iTunes but it goes through a set up process like pick your plans and stuff

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

    eyeRobot (2010-10-31)

  10. #9
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Yeah I just tried it with a 2G and it tried to make me do all that. I cancelled and just hacktivated the damn thing with redsn0w. Does it do that for all iPhones? Cuz I only tried my active SIM on a 2G and on my own iPhone 4 and it didn't ask me to set anything up thru iTunes on my iPhone 4.

  11. #10
    OK, so he'll need to hacktivate in that case? I've asked which phone he's got. I'm not familiar with the 2G.
    I guess he's on 3.1.3? Downgrade to 3.1.2 and use blackrain?

  12. #11
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    On 3.1.3 is fine. Use Redsn0w 0.9.4 but point at 3.1.3 ipsw. It's not necessary to downgrade.

    Edit: I meant point at 3.1.2
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-31 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    eyeRobot (2010-10-31)

  14. #12
    Did u test the SIM card before u sent it out? I had a 4 yr old tmobile SIM card that used for a month then de-activated it. One day I put it in my phone and it had a prepaid account with $30 on it, it wasn't even under my name. This lead mecto believe that maybe carriers re-use SIM card numbers once they've been de-activated for a certain amount of time? Sounds unusual but I can't think of any other answer

  15. #13
    Or can pwnagetool do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Did u test the SIM card before u sent it out? I had a 4 yr old tmobile SIM card that used for a month then de-activated it. One day I put it in my phone and it had a prepaid account with $30 on it, it wasn't even under my name. This lead mecto believe that maybe carriers re-use SIM card numbers once they've been de-activated for a certain amount of time? Sounds unusual but I can't think of any other answer
    According to the buyer it's still active! I used them all in about the last 2 months. No problems with the others. I think the 2G scenario sounds likely. We'll see....
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-31 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  16. #14
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    That's weird. Does that mean you had free $30 worth of phone service? Cuz that's messed up lol.

    PwnageTool can do the trick too. If the user doesn't have a Mac, Sn0wbreeze will do it too. I just think Redsn0w is better for a 2G cuz it's very stable for 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, tho the push and YouTube problems still exist with hacktivating (can be fixed with push doctor for those firmwares). Cuz with Redsn0w you'd skip the step of restoring again to a custom firmware if the phone isn't jb yet.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-31 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    eyeRobot (2010-10-31)

  18. #15
    OK, will advise the guy. Either way, looks like a refund on the way!

    Annie, if I cook the guy his pwnagetool firmware will he be able to install it by just putting his phone in DFU?
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-31 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #16
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Personally, I don't like using custom firmwares from other people. I've always had problems with it and have always just made my own. He can make his own with Sn0wbreeze if he doesn't have a Mac. There really isn't a point not to just run Redsn0w on it since he obviously bought the SIM to activate so he isn't jailbroken yet.

    BUT if you'd like to do that for him, that's fine. Its just an extra step for him to restore his phone when he could just run Redsn0w and jb it in under 10 minutes.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

    eyeRobot (2010-10-31)

  21. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    OK, will advise the guy. Either way, looks like a refund on the way!

    Annie, if I cook the guy his pwnagetool firmware will he be able to install it by just putting his phone in DFU?
    You cannot just option restore in manual DFU with the latest pwnage tool 4.1.x you must put the phone in DFU with pwnage tool. Manual dfu will result in 1600 error.
    However if phone is previously pwned it will work.

  22. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    You cannot just option restore in manual DFU with the latest pwnage tool 4.1.x you must put the phone in DFU with pwnage tool. Manual dfu will result in 1600 error.
    However if phone is previously pwned it will work.
    Fully aware of that! It also doesn't do 2g phones or OS3.1.3!

    What about Pwnagetool 3.1.5?

    It turns out it is a 2G and he had no success with redsn0w already.

  23. #19
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Can he use Sn0wbreeze then? I never understood those who don't have success with Redsn0w. I really think they're doing something wrong cuz I've always been using Redsn0w and it never fails. Oh well. Advise him to use Sn0wbreeze. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can make him a custom fw for 3.1.3 with an older version of Pwnagetool.

    Tell him to downgrade to 3.1.2 and use blackra1n if that happens to fail too.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-31 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •