Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: update question

Default update question
    I have an iphone that i bought in Thailand. I guess it was from the US originally. Its been jailbraked or unlocked or whatever but they told me not to update the OS because it would lock the phone. How do i go about to update to OS4?

best regs,

PK

Thanks

We'll need some more information about the phone. What kind of iPhone is it? What OS version is it currently on? Do you know how it was jailbroken?

Thanx for your reply.

Iphone 3G
    version 3.0 (7A341)

I dont know how it is Jailbreaked. There is an app called icy 1.0 which has winterboard, ultrasn0w, sauriks source etc.

Hope this helps,

best regards, i appreciate your effort. thank you.

PK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I guess you don't have the official sim card for the iphone. You can use Snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create a custom firmware and do a shift + restore to it. You can use Simple mode so that Snowbreeze will hactivate your iphone while creating a custom firmware but you will not be able to use Youtube and a message will pop up after you have sync with your iphone.
    If you have the official sim card, then you won't have this problem.

OR if you have a Mac, then you can restore to custom firmware created by Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    You should consider getting an unused official sim card for any future restore. If you don't have it, you have very limited choice to most jailbreaking tools.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-10-29 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

after resetting with itunes from 3.0 to 4.1 itunes states that the SIM is invalid. when using pwnage tools to restore it states "wrong firmware package selected"

pk

ok, now it worked. but i can still not make calls. now i have to unlock?

pk

installing ultrasn0w does nothing....carrier networks are gone. ideas?

PK
    Last edited by horisize; 2010-10-30 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by horisize View Post
    after resetting with itunes from 3.0 to 4.1 itunes states that the SIM is invalid. when using pwnage tools to restore it states "wrong firmware package selected"

pk

ok, now it worked. but i can still not make calls. now i have to unlock?

pk

installing ultrasn0w does nothing....carrier networks are gone. ideas?

PK
    You cant Unlock 4.1
    Wait till 4.2 comes out because it should have the same baseband as 4.1, so the unlock will work on both of them, you need to ask more questions next time, he said create a home brew custom firmware of 4.0 not to update to 4.1

yeah i noticed...thanx