Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.1 Unlock Updates

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Low expectations == many pleasant surprises

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Huh!?!? Whats that suppose to mean??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This might be a little bit off topic but owell, so am guessing I am the only one is the world that didn't know the iPhone 4
    Uses a micro sim card so my tmobile sims won't fit. Anyone recommends a good sims cutter or good sites to try and do it my self while I wait for the iPhone 4 unlock? Thanks.
    Last edited by illmatic801; 2010-11-27 at 08:56 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    this means if you lower how much you expect from people, be it help or gifts, or anything, then when something, even something small, comes along, you are "pleasantly surprised!"

in this context i think Mes is saying "Just chill, wait it out, it will come when it comes (i think i said that before?!), and when it does you will be...

h
    a
    p
    p
    e
    e
    e
    !
    "
    .... as long as you're not being impatient and moaning eg. "Why haven't the Dev Team cracked it yet?" or "I'm switching to a*****d" etc. etc.

lol?
    Last edited by deemyboy; 2010-11-27 at 11:27 AM. Reason: missed 2nd part of Mes paraphrase

Quote Originally Posted by vette95 View Post
    My man, Only God could have said it better. Cheers
    I beg to defer, god doesn't know much about jailbreak otherwise I would have asked him for a "Jailbreak for ever"

Green Apple
    Thanks
    just a quickie!

i'm from the uk and there apple are selling "factory unlocked" iphones (maybe they're selling them in other parts of the world too but i don't know - 3gs and i'4 - i don't know about the 3g)

can't we just COPY or EXTRACT this firmware and let everyone download it somehow so that we don't have to worry about ultrasn0w and custom ipsw's etc?

if this is not possible then forgive me for just being "plain dumb!"

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deemyboy View Post
    just a quickie!

i'm from the uk and there apple are selling "factory unlocked" iphones (maybe they're selling them in other parts of the world too but i don't know - 3gs and i'4 - i don't know about the 3g)

can't we just COPY or EXTRACT this firmware and let everyone download it somehow so that we don't have to worry about ultrasn0w and custom ipsw's etc?

if this is not possible then forgive me for just being "plain dumb!"
    It will make no difference, the firmware on a factory unlocked is the same as that on a locked one.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not possible in today's environment. Every iDecive has unique numbers? Yea? And not
    not just 1, but several. Apple uses these to our disadvantage. If your computers are bigger than Apples, you have a chance
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-27 at 03:04 PM.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I would have been better off not knowing its coming on sunday lol. This weekend has just.. DRAAGed on for me lol. Luckily Friday was our thanksgiving (too many schedule conflicts to do it Thursday) and today is a busy day ahead so hopefully I won't think about it too much.. It will be nice, right now I am carrying around: my Virgin Mobile phone (can't wait to get rid of them!) my ipod touch and my Virgin mobile Mifi. I've been using text free on my ipod for texting, as I have a basic flip with VM and its a pain in the but to text on, as is carrying around 3 devices, plus the charger for the mifi.

Big big big props to the dev team for this!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vette95 View Post
    Yeah, the sun is out, now I can go into the pool, nice!!!
    You are very lucky, I woke up to snow this morning. Sorry for off-topic.

3G/S today very soon. i4 in about 2 weeks. Sherif Hashim starts working on it Monday. From there we will hear more about the iPhone 4 unlock.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    It will make no difference, the firmware on a factory unlocked is the same as that on a locked one.
    but if we keep saying you need a custom firmware to prevent baseband upgrade then how does that work if both firmware's are the same but factory unlocked doesn't need a custom firmware?

i just don't think i'm getting this fully.

people seem to be saying that these 2 below are the same but it doesn't make sense to me!

1. standard iphone + custome firmware + ultrasnow = unlocked

2. factory unlocked iphone + standard firmware = unlocked

somebody is saying custom firmware and standard firmware ARE THE SAME!!!

help this dummy please (me)...and keep your cool....if you can!

thanks
    Last edited by deemyboy; 2010-11-28 at 04:53 PM. Reason: mistakes

Thanks

A custom firmware is used to prevent the baseband update when updating to a certain firmware. That way the unlock that was used before can still be used on the newer firmware. Factory unlocked phones do not need this as they are always unlocked. They get unlocked in a totally different way to software unlocks. Factory unlocked phones are not unlocked based on what firmware they have, they are unlocked by itunes based on unique identifiers of the phone itself matching that in Apple's database of iphones allowed to be unlocked (by IMEI I believe).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

deemyboy (2010-11-28)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    A custom firmware is used to prevent the baseband update when updating to a certain firmware. That way the unlock that was used before can still be used on the newer firmware. Factory unlocked phones do not need this as they are always unlocked. They get unlocked in a totally different way to software unlocks. Factory unlocked phones are not unlocked based on what firmware they have, they are unlocked by itunes based on unique identifiers of the phone itself matching that in Apple's database of iphones allowed to be unlocked (by IMEI I believe).
    thanks.

that sort of explains things a bit better.

so factory unlocked phones are known to apple by their imei no's (or other identifiers) and so don't need a LOCAL software unlock - they are unlocked GLOBALLY (over the air so to speak)

jade = good in arabic
    Last edited by deemyboy; 2010-11-28 at 05:35 PM. Reason: education

Thanks

Not over the air. iTunes unlocks them during activation.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    oic

it x-references iphones with apple database during activation and unlocks the ones that are "factory unlocked" in the database.

can i ask apple to put my phone in there and pay them et out of a (small) fee?

i mean what do they get out of making sure we can't use other networks?

maybe they wouldn't sell so many sim-free/contract free handsets i guess

man, i'm dumb!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hey, quick question, on the Dev Teams site, it says: WINDOWS 7 USERS SHOULD RUN redsn0w IN “XP COMPATIBILITY” MODE, but what about those who don't have the XP compatibility mode in our version of Windows 7? Will it still work if I run it in 7 alone or is it a MUST that I install XP mode?

Um, if anything try running it as admin, usually works that way if you don't have the win xp mode.

Thanks

I think you are confusing compatibility mode with xp mode on windows 7. Compatibility mode is just right clicking on the program and choosing troubleshoot compatibility. Xp mode is having a virtual xp run alongside windows 7.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

greekgodchaos (2010-11-28)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Oh okay, yea definately mixed em up haha, thank you for clearing that up for me! Cant wait for the unlock....

Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast