Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs locked at emergency screen

Unhappy 3gs locked at emergency screen
    I have a 3GS that is appears to be stuck in recovery mode at the emergency screen.

It is my belief that the phone may not be activated. I have inserted a official sim card in the phone and connected it to Itunes to activate, but keep receiving error from Itunes to restore the phone. I understand that I should not do that because it upgrades the baseband and upgrades the phone to 4.1 software.

The phone has software version of 4.0.1. I tried using the newly released pwnage 4.1 tool, but it produced 1601 & 21 error codes. I also understand that some people have been having similar errors with the pwnage 4.1 tool.

I have attempted everything that I know of. A friend recommended trying Blackra1n to get the phone out of the recovery loop and jailbreak it, so I can use the phone.

My question is: Will Blackra1n fix the problem & jailbreak the phone so I can activate it with an official sim or just create more problems if I try to use it?
    Last edited by vyvxguy; 2010-10-22 at 06:20 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You'll need an AT&T SIM to activate. No workaround unless you have a Mac. Then you can upgrade to 4.1 without updating your baseband by using PwnageTool.

Edit: scratch that. Try Limera1n.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-22 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I tried the pwnage tool 4.1 on a Mac and still got the same error codes 1601 & 21. Phone will not restore to 4.1. Is there a pwnage tool for 4.0.1?

Yes, I have an At&t sim, but can't get past the emergency screen. If I put a At&t sim in at that screen & connecting it to Itunes 10.0.1.22, it still won't activate the phone. The phone needs a restore of some time.

If that doesn't work, Blackra1n won't help either?
    Last edited by vyvxguy; 2010-10-22 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vyvxguy View Post
    I have a 3GS that is appears to be stuck in recovery mode at the emergency screen.

It is my belief that the phone may not be activated. I have inserted a official sim card in the phone and connected it to Itunes to activate, but keep receiving error from Itunes to restore the phone. I understand that I should not do that because it upgrades the baseband and upgrades the phone to 4.1 software.

The phone has software version of 4.0.1. I tried using the newly released pwnage 4.1 tool, but it produced 1601 & 21 error codes. I also understand that some people have been having similar errors with the pwnage 4.1 tool.

I have attempted everything that I know of. A friend recommended trying Blackra1n to get the phone out of the recovery loop and jailbreak it, so I can use the phone.

My question is: Will Blackra1n fix the problem & jailbreak the phone so I can activate it with an official sim or just create more problems if I try to use it?
    When you tried Pwnage tools 4.1, was your 4.0.1 already jailbroken by jailbreakme ?
    You can use kick out of recovery from TU to get you back you were before when you encounter error 1601.

I was sold the phone with it stuck at the emergency screen with 4.0.1 software. I have no knowledge if it was previously jailbroken before I bought it.

(I am aware that Jailbreakme produces a horitzontal line across the upper right side of the screen along with the apple logo upon boot-up of the phone.)

There is only the apple logo by itself and no horizontal line.

It is my belief that the phone is locked and may need an unlock and restore to get it functioning. Right now, it's solely a paperweight.

I've tried TU, Ireb & recboot to get it out of it's current state. They all reboot the phone fine but after reboot, the phone returns to the emergency calls screen only/insert valid sim screen.

I do have a valid At&t sim and it does not help the situation either.
    Last edited by vyvxguy; 2010-10-23 at 01:58 PM.

The 1600 error is caused by using pwnage tool incorrectly. Right at the end of Pwnage tool creating the IPSW it has prompts to put your phone in DFU mode you must follow those prompts instead of disconnecting and putting it in DFU manually. Part of the exploit is injected during the magic DFU and if you miss that stage you will always get 1600 error.

I'll give the process a try again.