Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate with fresh new sim?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Activate with fresh new sim?
    Basically I'd like to clarify one thing here. When pwnage 4.1 is released I'd rather use a legit activation instead of hacktivating so I won't lose my push notifications but I of course need to unlock again to use an alien carrier. If I go out and buy a new native SIM card for the phone, in my case, Rogers in Canada, can I activate the phone without setting up a new Rogers account?

New sim card should work fine.

However, push notifications work fine for me on hacktivated 4.1 firmware with snowbreeze 2.0.2 and also had no problems with pwnagetool when I went to 4.0, so maybe try it out before you get a new sim card?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks Westonben. Unfortunately I'm having problems with push and youtube on my current hacktivated pwnage 4.0 iPhone 3GS. I'm also too terrified to use Sn0wbreeze to update it to 4.1 because if anything goes wrong, I'm totally hosed as I do not have any SHSH backed up before 4.1. Case in point, I have another 3GS that I accidentally baseband updated to 4.1 a while back, but I do indeed have SHSH's for >= 4.0, so I've been using it as a test platform for pwned firmwares. Sn0wbreeze worked fine on it when I used 4.01, but restoring 4.1 causes a catastrophic hang in the middle of the update, at which point, pwned firmware at any version refuses to take, so I had to stock update to 4.0 then run JBme2pwn to get the pwn back. Since the iPhone in question with the older baseband does not have SHSH's, if the same thing happened to it, it's a paperweight.

Fair point then.

I'd still wait to try out the new pwnagetool before buying the sim though. It will be hacktivated but it really shouldn't be a big problem.

Did you try pushfix and youtube fixes on pushfix.info? I emailed the guy a couple of times before now and he's very helpful.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dunno I tried push fixes a while ago and I think I eventually got it working with push doctor but something just still felt off about the performance and I screwed up somewhere and cydia kept throwing me pushfix repo errors. Just didn't feel right, so...

I bought myself a new fresh Rogers sim card. Re-installed snowbreeze unhacktivated firmware 4.0.1 (pwnage won't pwn the dfu mode properly on my emulated Mac on windows 7 for 4.1). The phone made it past the emergency call screen after connecting to iTunes and i could use it to get on cydia via wifi but interestingly I still got the occasional message that the phone was still activating and might take a few minutes. After installing ultrasn0w and rebooting with my alien sim card (Telus) the phone got to the home screen connected to iTunes and reported that it was successfully activated. Makes me wonder, if we could just preinstall ultrasn0w in the custom firmware, couldn't we avoid hacktivating or bothering with a native sim as it seems sufficient enough to trick it into activating officially via iTunes anyway?

All is well now, no push problems.

You need to do it how you did it if that makes sense!

Original carrier sim to get past emergency call screen and only when you put in your proper sim after ultrasnow does it finally say activated.

Good result anyway.