Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can i unlock a new purchased iphone 4

Default Can i unlock a new purchased iphone 4
    If I purchase a new iphone 4 from Apple can it be unlocked? Is there a way to tell before buying if that phone can or cannot be unlocked as I don't want to purchase one and find out it cannot be unlocked and wait for new crack. Is there way to downgrade OS in some way and than do the hack. thx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You cannot tell until you have bought it, it should be IOS 4.1 by now. No risk , No gain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

nedk (2010-10-17)

I got a new one 3 days ago and it still had 4.0.2 so you may get lucky b

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

nedk (2010-10-17)

If its 4.1 than is it unlockable or can it be downgraded to a version that is unlockable?

It won't be able to be downgraded since SHSH blobs won't be saved. Additionally, it's not possible to downgrade the baseband on the 4, so you would be waiting for a new unlock tool.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You'll have to hope to get one on 4.0.2. Like Yeow said, you'll have to take a risk to find out. Ask the reps for the oldest stock they have (preferably one from the back I'd suppose) and hope it's on 4.0.2. Otherwise you'd have to wait a while for the new unlock if it's on 4.1.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

One time I went to Rogers and ask for an exchange from 16gb to 32gb, he took one out. I ask him if I could see what firmware is on it. I told him if that is the firmware i wanted, then I will take it, if it is not , then I wouldn't want to exchange. He said fine but just only one time. To my surprise, it was just what i wanted, so I took it and had an exchange.
    It also depends on the person , treat him nice like a King, then he will feel good and please you, just a thought