Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1.3 to 4.1

Default 3.1.3 to 4.1
    Guys,
    I have a 3GS iphone with firmware 3.1.3 and baseband 5.11.07. This is already unlocked and jailbroken, I did it with the help of users from this forum. Now, Im thinking on updating to 4.1, is there any way to unlock and jailbreak it?
    Thanks a lot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ale4121 For This Useful Post:

badius_salam (2010-10-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

There is no unlock at official 4.1 yet. If you have the old bootrom, maybe I can get you to use custom firmware. Give me your first 5 serial number starting from the left.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

RolandChbeir (2010-10-13)

what is a custom firmware good for? yeow

Model - MC136LL
    Last edited by ale4121; 2010-11-21 at 03:53 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@ibeast custom firmware upgrades the iOS without upgrading the baseband.

@ale please download f0recast and post the information you get from it.

we're mainly looking for baseband and bootrom version
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

I executed f0recast and the info is the same I gave before:
    baseband - 05.11.07
    bootloader - 6.4
    model - mc136
    Is there anything still missing?
    Last edited by ale4121; 2010-11-21 at 03:53 AM.

I'm guessing you are new bootrom, and the phone preserved the 3.1.2 baseband by using the dev team's upgrade method.

You have JB your phone with spirit and blacksn0w RC2 at present.

You can't use custom firmware to upgrade a new bootrom phone so you are out of luck for 4.1 until a new unlock comes out for the 4.1 firmware baseband. However, you can go to 4.0.2, using tiny umbrella (You should have SHSH) and jailbreak with limera1n and unlock with ultrasn0w.

Double check your bootrom:

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You have the new bootrom, so you cannot restore to 4.1 yet if you need unlock.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Marcosante (2010-10-14)

I would say go to 4.0 and jailbreak and unlock from there easiest way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MalayZN View Post
    I would say go to 4.0 and jailbreak and unlock from there easiest way.
    You can do this depending on what SSH you have. Go to Cydia and see on the front page on top what numbers are listed in green.

i have a question here..somehow my iphone 3gs with 3.1.3 jailbroken and was unlocked by ultrasn0w currently couldnt boot up(stuck at the apple sign) and i have a new bootrom. i did backup my shsh through tiny umbrella before. Im guessing i'll have to restore my iphone but custom firmware just could not work due to new bootrom. What can i do now so my phone's baseband can be preserved n unlock it?

Use tiny umbrella and upgrade your firmware to anything other than 4.1

If you've got 4.0.2 go to that, jb with limerain and unlock again with ultrasnow.

but i heard there's some problem when having limera1n jb n ultrasn0w unlock izzit? or am i wrong?

ps: if no problem how do i do it with tiny umbrella? in advanced option request 4.0.2 from cydia? what's ECID?

i also click "display my SHSHs"
    Last edited by fatherq; 2010-10-15 at 05:17 PM.

No prob with limerain and ultrasnow.

In tiny umbrella go to advanced options and save SHSH for 4.0.2. Start TSS server. Start iTunes. Put phone in dfu. Hold shift, click restore, browse to 4.0.2 Ipsw (download it first), let iTunes do the restore. When you get an error near the end hit kick device out of recovery in tinyumbrella

SOLVED

thx for ur info westonben..my 3gs is now running properly again =D
    Last edited by fatherq; 2010-10-15 at 08:56 PM.

@westonben, youre rigth. I'm new bootrom and had 3.1.2. I JB and unlocked the phone preserving the baseband, which is 5.11.07.
    I noticed there is a new Pwnagetool to JB 4.1. My question is if it is possible to use it to upgrade my 3gs to 4.1 while preserving the baseband. And if it is preserved, can I still use ultrasn0w to unlock it?

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    I'm guessing you are new bootrom, and the phone preserved the 3.1.2 baseband by using the dev team's upgrade method.

You have JB your phone with spirit and blacksn0w RC2 at present.

You can't use custom firmware to upgrade a new bootrom phone so you are out of luck for 4.1 until a new unlock comes out for the 4.1 firmware baseband. However, you can go to 4.0.2, using tiny umbrella (You should have SHSH) and jailbreak with limera1n and unlock with ultrasn0w.

Double check your bootrom:

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie