Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can the iPhone 3G be Unlocked in iOS 4.1?

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Can the iPhone 3G be Unlocked in iOS 4.1?
    I know the iPhone 3G can be jailbroken in 4.1, but is there an unlock for it yet?

-thank you
     Think Different.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

according to this http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...lp-please.html

it might be possible... check your baseband first.

and just for clarification... is your phone already on 4.1 or do you want to upgrade to 4.1
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-11 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heyyyitsjordan View Post
    ummm...

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...breakable.html

according to this, no.

however, according to this http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...lp-please.html

maybe... check your baseband and use custom firmware.
    Ok i was reading another forum that you replied to, (http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...lp-please.html) and it looks like it was successful but that method requires snowbreeze which only runs on a PC. I have a Mac. is there any method for a mac that I could use to both jailbreak and unlock with?
     Think Different.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

aww bummer you saw that before i had a chance to edit LOL

yea i just saw that too. for mac you would use pwnage tool to create the custom firmware.

what firmware and baseband are you on currently?
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-11 at 11:10 PM.
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heyyyitsjordan View Post
    aww bummer you saw that before i had a chance to edit LOL

yea i just saw that too. for mac you would use pwnage tool to create the custom firmware.
    Hahahaha! but yeah I just finished reading this article that is confirmed by redmond pie that you are able to jailbreak and unlock with the pwnage tool but there is no steps o how to do it. heres the article iPhone iOS 4.1: Jailbreak and Unlock 3G using PwnageTool Bundle : Product Reviews Net do you know of anybody who has successfully done this with the pwnage tool method and has not lost their unlock?

Guys I got it to work! I found a YouTube Tutorial on how to do it! For the other people who are trying to jailbreakand unlock, just follow this video here:YouTube - How to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 With PwnageTool 4.01 (Mac) and you'll be running 4.1 jailbroken and unlocked!
    Last edited by JonnyBoy123; 2010-10-12 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
     Think Different.

JonnyBoy,

That will only unlock the phone if you had not yet updated to the newest baseband. PwnageTool will jailbreak 4.1 and can prevent it from installing the latest baseband, but ultrasn0w can't yet activate phone which were updated to 4.1 normally though iTunes. Hopefully that comes out soon........

Thanks

I had been on 4.0.1 and had not updated until today but I have my SHSH Blobs backed up, and I used custom firmware so I'm all good.
     Think Different.

Nice. One other thing to note: even if you downgrade using your SHSH blobs, the baseband won't go back to the old version, so if you do update it by accident you're stuck until a new unlock comes out. cheers.

So just to clerify...there is no unlocking the new 05.14.02 baseband...???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm999 View Post
    Nice. One other thing to note: even if you downgrade using your SHSH blobs, the baseband won't go back to the old version, so if you do update it by accident you're stuck until a new unlock comes out. cheers.
    Oh yeah I made sure to leave the box "BaseBand Upgrade" unchecked in the Pwnage Tool software. That's how I was able to keep my original BaseBand and simply unlock with UltraSn0w via Cydia!
     Think Different.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdigi View Post
    So just to clerify...there is no unlocking the new 05.14.02 baseband...???
    Correct, that version cannot be unlocked yet by any means. The latest unlockable basebands are 05.13.04 (up to firmware 4.0.2) for the iPhone 3G/3GS, and 01.59.00 (up to firmware 4.0.2) for the iPhone 4.

The rumor is that the unlocks for basebands packaged with 4.1 won't be available until after 4.2 comes out, which should be about a month. But that's an estimate, not a guarantee.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to atm999 For This Useful Post:

bobdigi (2010-10-12)

Okay...just making sure. Thanks atm999.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    Hahahaha! but yeah I just finished reading this article that is confirmed by redmond pie that you are able to jailbreak and unlock with the pwnage tool but there is no steps o how to do it. heres the article iPhone iOS 4.1: Jailbreak and Unlock 3G using PwnageTool Bundle : Product Reviews Net do you know of anybody who has successfully done this with the pwnage tool method and has not lost their unlock?

Guys I got it to work! I found a YouTube Tutorial on how to do it! For the other people who are trying to jailbreakand unlock, just follow this video here:YouTube - How to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 With PwnageTool 4.01 (Mac) and you'll be running 4.1 jailbroken and unlocked!
    Just an FYI, I followed the procedure here and successfully upgraded to 4.1 on my 3G while preserving my baseband... BUT I could never restore any backups without getting the error 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone.' Tried lots of things (including the info.plist hack) but never got around this issue where iTunes would no longer backup or restore, so I went back to 4.0. Then the restore went fine. It was strange because apps and music could be synced OK, only the backups and restore wouldn't work. Lots of errors like this in Console:

10/12/10 11:44:18 PM AppleMobileBackup[1019] ERROR: Connecting to device failed: SocketStreamHandlerConnect: Can't connect to host: Socket error 6 (SocketErrorConnect) (com.apple.MobileBackup.ErrorDomain/201)

If you read the comments on the YouTube video, you'll see lots of people had the same issue. I'm assuming there is a problem with the 4.1 bundle he supplied. Guess I'll wait for the official DevTeam PwnageTool release next weekend.
    Last edited by eelpout; 2010-10-13 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
    Just an FYI, I followed the procedure here and successfully upgraded to 4.1 on my 3G while preserving my baseband... BUT I could never restore any backups without getting the error 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone.' Tried lots of things (including the info.plist hack) but never got around this issue where iTunes would no longer backup or restore, so I went back to 4.0. Then the restore went fine. It was strange because apps and music could be synced OK, only the backups and restore wouldn't work. Lots of errors like this in Console:

10/12/10 11:44:18 PM AppleMobileBackup[1019] ERROR: Connecting to device failed: SocketStreamHandlerConnect: Can't connect to host: Socket error 6 (SocketErrorConnect) (com.apple.MobileBackup.ErrorDomain/201)

If you read the comments on the YouTube video, you'll see lots of people had the same issue. I'm assuming there is a problem with the 4.1 bundle he supplied. Guess I'll wait for the official DevTeam PwnageTool release next weekend.
    Yeah I have the same problem when I connect it to iTunes I get the error and everything. But thank you for letting me know that you are able to downgrade still that is a big help! And like u said there is probably a bug in the 4.1 bundle he gave us.
     Think Different.

I have two iphones with 3g-4.1 BB 5.11 and BB 5.13 jailbroken but after ultrasn0w 1.1.1 from Cydia -NO SERVICE!!!
    Damn..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    I have two iphones with 3g-4.1 BB 5.11 and BB 5.13 jailbroken but after ultrasn0w 1.1.1 from Cydia -NO SERVICE!!!
    Damn..
    Well what tool did you use to jailbreak them with?
     Think Different.

I can't even jailbreak my other 3g, it just stays on sim screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Formula View Post
    I can't even jailbreak my other 3g, it just stays on sim screen.
    So what did u jailbreak with?
     Think Different.

I have an iPhone 3G. It's updated to 4.1 from 4.0.1. It used to be Jailbroken with redsn0w, and unlocked with ultrasn0w from Cydia.

I didn't know to backup my data and/or SHSH blobs (whatever those are :/)

So my phone is currently stuck on the sim/emergency screen aswell.

I'm aware that my baseband is probably updated and I'm just waiting for a solution to come out.

I've tried jailbreaking with limera1n and greenpois0n, however, 'DFU mode' doesn't seem to recognize; rendering inability to jailbreak.

I've also tried to downgrade, but I'm afraid it's too late for me right now. If anyone figures out a solution, please let me know! THANKS!

Also, if there is any other information needed, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    So what did u jailbreak with?
    Sn0wbreeze for the jailbreak. I might try iFunbox to see if I can get it off that screen.

For now I'm more concerned with why I can't get MMS incoming pics to work on my iPhone 4 (factory unlocked) because even if I jailbreak the old 3g it'll still be locked until an update. No SHSH back-up like the post above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast