Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WARNING: Canadian carrier FACTORY unlocked iPhone exist! (as opposed to world unlocked)

Default WARNING: Canadian carrier FACTORY unlocked iPhone exist! (as opposed to world unlocked)
    Something new that i discovered recently, which baffled geniuses at apple store..... Ive bought and sol many Factory unlocked iPhone 4s from apple to sell on ebay. I bought a couple from a guy locally which, when tested with Rogers, Fido, and Telus sims, worked with all of them. So i knew they were good and factory unlocked (since tehre was no receipt, testing was the only way to verify this)

well i was wrong, it wouldnt work or even recognize any U.S. sim! i wasnt able to try it with sims from elsewhere in the world, but according to the Genius bar at the store, the phone was not indicated as factory unlocked in the system, but had every indication as to being unlocked

Calling apple didnt help, and no, it wasnt JAILBROKEN. it was on 4.1 and worked with all carrier sims!

so just a heads up to anyone buying on the grey market, especially in canada.....

So it's unlocked to all Canadian sims, but not unlocked to any other sims? That's wierd haha must be software glitch

What I thought, but I have two of them... Same issue. Genius suggested it was probably sim unlocked at a carriers store, but every indication I've gotten is that that's not possible. They could be replacements sent by apple direct to customer!? Really dunno

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks for the warning.

I get a few from Hong Kong, andf I sell it in US. Never have this problem

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I believe Factory Unlocked iPhone from Australia, Europe & Hong Kong are okay.

It's probably a locked fido/rogers/bell/telus phone seems that all canadian sims work in it. my telus phone works with a rogers sim so i think it's probably a phone given by the carrier. If it's a telus phone it can be unlocked by telus but from what i beleive telus is unlocked when using over seas sim. so this is probably a rogers iphone 4

Thumbs down unlocked not
    too bad I started searching about this topic after It had hit me.

I've bought a brand new iphone 4 16 GB Factory "unlocked" from a canadian seller that described the iphone as:
    "Buy with confidence, all iPhone's in Canada come unlocked direct from Apple. No 'jailbreak' required. Phone is still sealed in the box!"

so I went ahead and got it...when it arrived I couldn't wait to try it with my pre cut T-mobile sim card..

The iphone won't activate with the t-mobile card DUH, so I used my friend's at&t card and it got activated, however it won't recognize the network!!!! same thing happends when i use the t-mobile card, the phone won't recognize the carrier!! so I went to At&T store and had a tech guy pop in his card and it didn't work either...Apple store techs didn't have any clue!! so I ended up sending it back and getting refunded since it is the sellers's fault (wrong description)..so everyone be aware! Those are regionally unlocked but not globally, i.e. they will work in Canada only! BS