Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leaglly Unlocked Iphone - 4 Bought in canada / use with tmobile in US

Exclamation Leaglly Unlocked Iphone - 4 Bought in canada / use with tmobile in US
    Is it right?
    I called Apple store and they told me iphone 4 unlocked in canada is for canadian carriers only.
    cannot be used with t-mobile out of the box in US .

really confused
    planning to buy one this weekend when i will be up there.
    can anyone help in this matter?

thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Umm if it's factory unlocked (which they are from Canada) then it can be used with any GSM carrier

Yes its true. Those iphones are unlocked to only canadian carriers

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm using a factory unlocked Iphone 4 bought from Canada. And I'm using it in Bulgaria with Globul... the only problem is that I'm unable to activate FaceTime...

^Facetime activation on factory unlocked iphones is dead easy...just turn on face time and make sure u have the ability to send messages...turn of and on the phone...you will see facetime icon while u make a call instead of "hold" option.

@thread opener, If it is factory unlocked, it can be used anywhere in the world with a micro sim..they are just ripping you off by making a fool out out of you..they cannot just lock the phone with candian carriers. Apple only makes 2 types of iphones...1 specific carrier locked 2. factory unlocked
    Last edited by ravelsnip; 2010-10-12 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ravelsnip View Post
    ^Facetime activation on factory unlocked iphones is dead easy...just turn on face time and make sure u have the ability to send messages...turn of and on the phone...you will see facetime icon while u make a call instead of "hold" option.
    Unfortunately that is not the case. I have tried everything including purchase miTime for activation but no luck at all. I'm thinking that my provider is somehow blocking the activation sms

had you check your data settings?

Quote Originally Posted by paplu View Post
    Is it right?
    I called Apple store and they told me iphone 4 unlocked in canada is for canadian carriers only.
    cannot be used with t-mobile out of the box in US .

really confused
    planning to buy one this weekend when i will be up there.
    can anyone help in this matter?

thanks in advance
    No it should work with any GSM carrier including tmobile, idk why they told u that, Americans buy iPhones from Canada all the time and they work with no problems..just double check with them when u go up there..and buy one for me too then u can sell it to me here =D I've been trying to get one for so long