Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No 3G network?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default No 3G network?
    Recently jailbroke/unlocked my 3G running iOS 4.0.1.
    Why must one turn the 3G capability off before unlocking to use on T-mobile? Can it be turned back on or am I just stuck with crappy regular service? Wi-fi works but not everywhere.......

Thanks

When an iPhone is unlocked for use on T-Mobile, it does not have access to a 3G data connection, only EDGE. The iPhone is made for AT&T's 3G frequencies which are different than T-Mobile's 3G frequencies. It'd be like trying to listen to an FM radio when you only have an AM one.

EDGE is the only way to go, unfortunately.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

Sinlover (2010-10-05)

Tmobile does not have a 3g network as of yet. So you are kind of stuck with edge until they catch up with the rest of the world. they do have plans for it in the near future. So just hang tight. Incidently, how did you unlock? what program? what baseband and bootloader?

Yeah they do they even got a 4g nbetwork

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john.wood31 View Post
    Tmobile does not have a 3g network as of yet. So you are kind of stuck with edge until they catch up with the rest of the world. they do have plans for it in the near future. So just hang tight. Incidently, how did you unlock? what program? what baseband and bootloader?
    They have had a 3G network for awhile, it just does not get as much publicity as the other cell phone providers. And as the above poster stated also, they have a 4G network that's expanding quickly compared to the others...

So in some ways, they are leading the rest of the world.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

tmobile runs 3g on 1700mhz and 2100mhz
    at&t runs 3g on 1900mhz...

iphone+tmobile=no 3g, better battery

Quote Originally Posted by john.wood31 View Post
    what part of what world are you living in? TmoUS has been releasing HSPA+ (4g SPEEDS) for months.
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-06 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyyitsjordan For This Useful Post:

Sinlover (2010-10-25)

Actually if I'm not mistaken they just released 4g with the new g2

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

They sure did release a 4G capable G2.

iPhones still can't use either 3G or 4G for T-Mobile (and of course no 4G yet for AT&T).

Thanks

tmobile chose not to call it 4g, instead going with hspa+... they say its capable of 4g speeds, and in some areas like new york actually surpass sprints 4g.

if im not mistaken, the mytouch slide and the htc hd2 are both capable of using hspa+, but not at its full speed like the g2.
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-08 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Technically HSPA+ is just an amped up 3G, aka 3G+ speed. It's not really 4G speed like Sprint's WiMax. Althought T-Mobile's HSPA+ CAN reach 4G speed (like you said Jordan, in only certain areas).

Once AT&T and Verizon roll out their LTE 4G tho, I'm sure it'll surpass T-Mobile's HSPA+, assuming T-Mobile sticks with that for a while and doesn't integrate an actual 4G network.

Thanks

theres been a lot of talk on the tmobile side of the world about a possible merger with sprint... and i also saw something about clearwire so maybe a true 4g network for tmo is in the works. either way, edge is still usable and saves battery and is good for when im on the move. most everywhere i go has wifi so im not missing 3g at all. =]
    DROID does... iPhone does it harder, better, faster, stronger

i have att and since jailbreaking my phone i can not get any network coverage help what do i need to do

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You need to restore and rejailbreak...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Finding out that T-Mo's EDGE network isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the problems I'm having are related to the iPhone being a 3G(slow), not EDGE.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.....................