Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Successfully jailbroke and unlocked iphone 3G to 4.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Successfully jailbroke and unlocked iphone 3G to 4.1 Updated!
    Thought Id share how I jailbroke and unlocked iphone 3G from 3.1.3 to 4.1.
    Theres no news to it but Ive seen peeps with problems so I figured I could share what I did to get it right!

First off all this is done on a Mac.

My iphone 3G was originally JBd and unlocked with Pwnagetool and Ultrasnow running 3.1.3.
    Baseband was (is) 05.13.04 and bootloader 05.09 G2M352. Remember to save your SHSH with Umbrella or via Cydia to Sauriks server.(If you dont know what this is google or search the forum!)

I dug around and found the pwangetool bundle for 4.1 which I injected in Pwnagetool 4.01, then it was able to create a custom FW 4.1. Just remember to uncheck baseband update in Expert settings and "Multitasking, homescreenwallpaper and percentage" aswell. (They will make the 3G sluggish as it was in 4.0). If you really want them at a later date you can always edit the N82AP.plist.

Unlock worked like usual via Ultrasn0w as my baseband didnt upgrade during restore.

Push doctor fixed the push but not youtube, still diggin around on that one.

Without the so called multitasking and homesceenwallpaper its very zippy and fast, in some cases it feels faster than 3.x.x. Im very pleased with the outcome!

UPDATE: I was wrong about push doctor fixing push, but i did find a way to get both push and youtube working.
    In the customized version of pwnagetool all I had to do was to uncheck activated phone and later after restoring, activate the phone with an old (nonactive) AT&T simcard through itunes and let the Apple server send through the proper certificates for push and youtube. Now im back with a fully functioning 3G running 4.1 on T-Mobile!
    Last edited by MaxxUS; 2010-10-04 at 02:17 AM. Reason: update

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaxxUS For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2010-10-03), davisondavis19 (2010-10-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Great news, anyone can do it if they do their homework or ask the right questions. Nice job.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks

You bet, thanks for sharing a success story with us.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Just an additional note, since PwnageTool is Mac only, this can be done the same way with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 for Windows users

Of course you were jb with Pwnage prior so it worked, any Windows user just has to be jb prior with Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze.

Tried the youtube fixes on pushfix repo for your youtube problems?

Oh, just read the update - well done.

Thanks

4.1 Faster than 3.x.x eh? Hmm... very tempting indeed, though I'm afraid to leave my safe haven of 3.1.3 in fear of me screwing something up; then I'll be left without a phone.

Glad to hear you got it working though.
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 2010-10-04 at 08:49 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

trust me its so worth it to leave 3.1.3... westonben and anniex423 helped me get set up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    4.1 Faster than 3.x.x eh? Hmm... very tempting indeed, though I'm afraid to leave my safe haven of 3.1.3 in fear of me screwing something up; then I'll be left without a phone.

Glad to hear you got it working though.
    It only scary cause you haven't done it before. You will love being on 4.1.

few tools you should have handy.
    iReb
    Tiny Umbrella
    You can simply do a Google search for them.
    1600 errors, use iReb
    2000 errors, just unplug the USB cord, and plug it right back in and it will continue.

Thanks

Forgive me, I'm a bit new to SHSH and all that. I downloaded TinyUmbrella and I downloaded the SHSH of 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.1. I couldn't get it for 3.1.3, is that okay? Will I still be able to upgrade to 4.1?

And I checked iReb but they don't have it for Mac. It says the Mac version is almost ready..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    Forgive me, I'm a bit new to SHSH and all that. I downloaded TinyUmbrella and I downloaded the SHSH of 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.1. I couldn't get it for 3.1.3, is that okay? Will I still be able to upgrade to 4.1?

And I checked iReb but they don't have it for Mac. It says the Mac version is almost ready..
    I can walk you through it, which phone and what bootloader and baseband are you on?

TinyUmbrella says the same thing for me, but yes its still possible to downgrade to 3.1.2 (or 3).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxUS View Post
    I can walk you through it, which phone and what bootloader and baseband are you on?

TinyUmbrella says the same thing for me, but yes its still possible to downgrade to 3.1.2 (or 3).
    iPhone 3G 3.1.3

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool, perfect!

Just a couple more questions..Did you ever pwn your phone before?
    and what SHSH does Cydia state you have stored with them?

I just want you to be exactly where I was before I upgraded.
    (or almost anyway, your baseband is unlockable by ultrasnow and thats where we wanna keep it!)

I'm on 4.1 and read up too late about downgrading by baseband. Any help getting 05.14.02 down to an unlockable one?

Thanks

I never pwned my phone. I bought it off Craigslist a bit ago. The guy had it on 3.1.3 and said he never updated it or jailbroken it (he said he never got into it). All I've done with it is jailbroken it with redsn0w and unlocked it with ultrasn0w.

Cydia says I have SHSHs for 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerpal View Post
    I'm on 4.1 and read up too late about downgrading by baseband. Any help getting 05.14.02 down to an unlockable one?
    What's your bootloader? Your only chance of downgrading your baseband is if you have 5.8. You can check via f0recast. Then you can downgrade it through fuzzyband.

Besides that, unfortunately, you're going to have to wait awhile before the devs release an unlock. The last iPhone that I bought had that baseband; I ended up just selling it for my current..
    Last edited by dotFIVE; 2010-10-04 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I hate sounding like I haven't been doing my homework - but how do you determine your bootloader?

Thanks

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Download f0recast. Have your iPhone plugged in and then run the program. It will tell you what bootloader your iPhone has.

Thanks

i just did this a few days ago... first jb the phone using spirit. then download spirit2pwn from cydia and install that. then use sn0wbreeze (or pwnage tool for mac) to create your custom ipsw DONT FORGET HACKTIVATE. shift restore the custom ipsw (or option restore for mac) in itunes.

Great - thanks for helping here - just got this iphone and 4.0 was so slow, just thought I'd give 4.1 a try and was too hasty

Jordan - Jailbroke using pwnage and it was a breeze. Just unlocking has been pwning ME

Thanks though
    Last edited by Nerpal; 2010-10-04 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

to unlock download ultrasn0w from cydia. install. reboot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast