Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading from 3.1.2 to iOS4

Default Upgrading from 3.1.2 to iOS4
    I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2 firmware, this is an older iPhone that I've had for awhile, so I'm assuming that it is on the old bootrom as well.

I would like to update to the newer software, however I am worried about bricking my phone. I am jailbroken through blackra1n, and have my SHSH blobs saved (according to cydia) for 3.1.3, 4.0, and 4.0.1.

How do I go about this process? I read through here and found a similar thread, but the guy was on 3.1.3 and had most likely unlocked with spirit, and there is a dissimilar process apparently with the the differences in JB's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Now that I think about it, I may have even used PurpleRa1n to jailbreak.
    Last edited by Casey Liffick; 2010-09-30 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and build your custom Firmware of 4.1 ipsw.
    Update Itunes to 10
    Put your iphone into recovery mode
    Do the Shift + Restore to Custom 4.1 ipsw.
    It should work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Download Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and build your custom Firmware of 4.1 ipsw.
    Update Itunes to 10
    Put your iphone into recovery mode
    Do the Shift + Restore to Custom 4.1 ipsw.
    It should work out for you.
    haha fml. Of course that program is for windows only.

Guess I gotta wait for the woman to get off her computer. Why don't they make mac/windows versions? I guess developing the same program for two different platforms would be kind of a *****.

Either way, thanks for the advice!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i believe the mac version of sn0wbreeze is pwnage tool.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes, PwnageTool will work the same way.

You could also use your SHSHs to get up to 4.0.1 and jb with jailbreakme.com.

Both ways are equally easy cuz you're already jb on 3.1.2 with the right tool. It's just up to you now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

are there any comparative advantages between 4.0.1 and 4.1 besides game center?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think GameCenter is the biggest diff. Aside from that, there aren't any major diffs. I would still recommend to go up to 4.1 just because in the future, you're probably gonna end up doing it anyway. Some apps like to be 4.0 only or 4.0.1 only etc and it is bound to happen where some apps require 4.1. Might as well go up to 4.1 in my opinion. But it really is up to you.

Something integral I forgot to ask, will I be able to maintain my unlock with any of the versions or atleast be able ultrasn0w any of them?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You will be able to preserve your baseband and maintain the unlock so long as you don't hit the upgrade button or restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Casey Liffick (2010-10-01)

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You will be able to preserve your baseband and maintain the unlock so long as you don't hit the upgrade button or restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw.
    Thanks, I'm downloading the 4.0.1 ispw right now, got the new itunes software, got the pwnage tool and then headed off to work.

I'll attempt it tonight and let you know if everything went as planned!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Be sure to run the TSS server in tinyumbrella while shift+restoring

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Be sure to run the TSS server in tinyumbrella while shift+restoring
    I'm unfamilliar with tiny umbrella, but I'll look in to it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Liffick View Post
    Thanks, I'm downloading the 4.0.1 ispw right now, got the new itunes software, got the pwnage tool and then headed off to work.

I'll attempt it tonight and let you know if everything went as planned!
    Pwnage tools 4.0.1 is to create a custom firmware of 4.0 not 4.0.1.
    You should just go to a friend's place and build your 4.1 custom firmware from Snowbreeze 2.0.2 and then put in a disk , bring it back home and restore on your Mac. Atleast 4.1 is the latest firmware available with GameCenter and you can initiate HDR only on IOS 4.1 and other additional features too.
    There are more people using PC than Mac, so I don't think you will have a problem getting Snowbreeze to work for you.

Not sure what's wrong here.

Got newest version of itunes.
    Got pwnagetool, and created my custom ispw from 4.0 (assuming that since I'm on tmobile i chose the option that my card wouldn't be accepted by itunes) and it's saved on my desktop.
    Downloaded TinyUmbrella, saved my SHSH's and started the TSS Server.
    Opened iTunes, and I try to shift restore.

This is where I run in to a problem. You just hold shift and click restore right? Then you should be able to select your custom ispw yeah?

Well, for some reason I hold shift, and click restore and it just asks me if I want to back up my iphone, and then starts downloading the restore from apple.

BZZZZZZzzZZ

Word. So I figured out the problem I was having. I dunno why it's called "shift restore" when it's actually pressing "option restore". Either way, I'M ON 4.0.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out here.
    Last edited by Casey Liffick; 2010-10-02 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Shift+restore is for Windows. It would've helped to have known you had a Mac

Then I would've said Option+Restore

Well, since I'm on 4.0 now, would pwnage tool work for 4.1?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Why didn't you just use Pwnage to update to 4.1 in the first place instead of 4.0?

I suppose since you are jb on 4.0 with Pwnage, you can do it again to go up to 4.1.

I wasn't sure if pwnage tool would work for 4.1, I actually read that it won't "hacktivate" it for you, meaning I'll need an ATT sim to activate, correct?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I assumed since you're asking about 4.1 then you'd have a SIM. But yes, the unofficial pwnagetool for 4.1 won't hactivate I believe. So yes you'll need a SIM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Liffick View Post
    I wasn't sure if pwnage tool would work for 4.1, I actually read that it won't "hacktivate" it for you, meaning I'll need an ATT sim to activate, correct?
    Don't waste your time on the unofficial pwnage tools 4.1, I have tried it, it does successfully restore but when it starts to boot up, it just freezes at apple logo. You can play with it if you have the time, I have tried 3 times , no success.

Finally Snowbreeze 2.0.2 came up, and everything works flawlessly on jailbroken and unlock at IOS 4.1. Thanks to Snowbreeze, we all should donate for their efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast