Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stupid Girlfriend!

Default Stupid Girlfriend!
    My girlfriend has gone and updated her iPhone which relies on an unlock (even though she did the same thing, when I first bought it for her, with 3.1.3!!)

So now she's stuck on iOS4.1 with an updated BB and it's my job to sort it out! She can live with an iPod touch for now (not that she has any choice) but the problem is I can't even get it to that stage. I've tried JB with redsn0w but it just stays on the emergency screen. I've restoring to custom firmwares but just get a 1601, 1602 or 1604 error.

Anyone know what I do? Even know how I can get she out of the emergency screen?

Which iphone?

You need a sim card from the official carrier to activate (even one not in contract).

You're pretty much screwed for getting this phone unlocked anytime soon. Hopefully the new JB tool will be out soon, but from what I've read no one is working on an unlock for the new BB. You could downgrade your firmware when you get it activated, but it won't downgrade the BB, you be able to use it as an ipod though, like you say.

Your only hope would be if you have a 3G phone, which I have heard a very small minority have apparently managed to downgrade their baseband.

Sell it on ebay (as carrier locked) and buy another one.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This is why I tell my friends with iPhones who always rely on me to fix the problems to not plug the phone into the computer and walk away. Or just randomly click "okay" to everything iTunes says. I've told one particular friend multiple times and now she finally gets it and haven't plugged her new iP4 into the computer without my supervision.

You must have an official carrier's SIM to activate the phone to get past the emergency call screen. That or a universal activation SIM (but I haven't personally confirmed that this one works).

As a word of warning, she might not have an unlock for up to 5 or 6 months cuz we don't know if the devs are going to work on a new unlock. The last longest gap between unlocks I experienced was about 3-5 months back on 2.x. But I know it'll be at least a month or two before they start to get a new unlock going.

To be honest, I think you should sell the phone and get another. Or you could wait and see after the new jb is released if the devs announce anything on working on a new unlock.

Beat you by 60secs!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It's cuz I talk too much. Have you noticed? Lol.

At least he got the same answer! I've got my friends scared to plug their phones into itunes too, not had one upgrade yet! They're all on 4.0 so I may have a batch of work to do soon though.

It's a -

3G
    iOS 4.1
    BB 05.14.02
    BL 6.2

She did the same thing about 6 months ago when I bought her the thing. It took about 2 months for an unlock to come out.

I can't downgrade. Fuzzyband isn't up to date yet.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    At least he got the same answer! I've got my friends scared to plug their phones into itunes too, not had one upgrade yet! They're all on 4.0 so I may have a batch of work to do soon though.
    Oh I feel ya man! I got one friend on an iP4, got one friend going to get a new iPhone in November, and one getting an iPhone next month. It's gonna be loads of fun for me to get the new jb rolling on my iP4, and the other 3 lol. The responsibility we carry lol.

Edit: I lol too much -.-
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-09-30 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok! We JB'd on her Mac and got it out of the emergency screen! Problem is now that we can't connect to the wifi AND the phone app has completely vanished!

Any ideas?

I stupidly did the same thing with mine on a new laptop and new install of Itunes. I restored it thinking it would just do a backup and sync of all my original apps, but instead it upgraded the BB and to IOS 4.1. So I sold it.

I am now getting another later today which is JB and unlocked on IOS 4.02, but will need advice about Itunes. I've got version 10 and not sure what steps I take in Itunes to get it syncing with the new phone. I'd be grateful if someone could advise or point me to a link to follow as I don't want to repeat the same mistake as before.

When you put your phone into iTunes it will say 2 things, not sure the order though:

It will say there is newer software for your phone. Hit cancel and don't ask me again.

Also it will say the phone either that it needs activating. You will need an original carrier sim card to do this, then it will offer you to either restore from backup. Which you want to do.

If he's already sending the phone activated then you get a message saying it is synced to another computer do you want to erase and sync with this library - hit yes!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

muzicstar (2010-09-30)

Thanks for that westonben. When you say if he's sending the phone activated, I'm not sure what that means. I will be putting my Vodafone Sim card in it, but I'm not sure what the original carrier is for the phone and may need to contact him if I need this to activate it.

Presumbly it's a 3GS?

Normally when someone sells a phone they do a restore to clear everything off the phone. After a restore a locked phone needs to be activated, you put the original sim in and connect it iTunes.

If he is sending it on 4.0.2 then it must be jb with custom firmware so it could well be activated with custom firmware anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Presumbly it's a 3GS?

Normally when someone sells a phone they do a restore to clear everything off the phone. After a restore a locked phone needs to be activated, you put the original sim in and connect it iTunes.

If he is sending it on 4.0.2 then it must be jb with custom firmware so it could well be activated with custom firmware anyway.

I'm just off to pick it up from Post Office and should be able to let you know soon.

I am in a similar situation. I had planned to wait for the next baseband unlock but I was expecting it to come out with the new jailbreak. Will it likely be longer than that?

Maybe I should just sell mine and get a new one.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If I relied on an unlock, I would sell the phone and get another. It's really unclear whether they plan on working on an unlock after the jb release or if they're gonna take a bit of time to get that going. You just never know.

The next unlock with take at least 3 months, it doesn't come with the jailbreak. Sell it and get another is all you can do. Also, punch your girlfriend in the booby for causing so much distress. Works for me anyway.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 2010-09-30 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    The next unlock with take at least 3 months, it doesn't come with the jailbreak. Sell it and get another is all you can do. Also, punch your girlfriend in the booby for causing so much distress. Works for me anyway.
    your gf is a boxer?

Hey! Thanks everyone for telling me everything I already knew and thanks to the guy that hijacked my thread. Very helpful.

Just thought I'd share that the problem was that I was using redsn0w 9.5 and not 9.6. She now has an expensive iPhone touch but all is not yet lost as I've heard that Vodafone here in Australia can unlock it for a small fee.

Fingers crossed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

... why pay for an unlock when its free?

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    I've told one particular friend multiple times and now she finally gets it and haven't plugged her new iP4 into the computer without my supervision.
    LOL whos the boss now?

Quote Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
    also, punch your girlfriend in the booby for causing so much distress.
    lol!!!!!
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-04 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast