Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ultran00b trying to upgrade to iOS 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default ultran00b trying to upgrade to iOS 4
    hey everyone... im pretty new to the iphone world so bear with me

i have an unlocked 3gs with 3.1.3 and baseband 05.12.01

is there a way i can upgrade this to iOS 4? im not entirely picky on which version (iOS 4, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1) but i know that i wanna upgrade...

i bought the phone unlocked so i dont know if it was jailbroken using spirit or something else.

please help.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you know if it's the old bootrom or new one?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

heyyyitsjordan (2010-09-30)

Thanks

old bootrom. i followed the instructions on redmond pie on how to check.

UPDATE: i just asked the guy i bought the phone from and he said he either unlocked it using spirit, blackra1n, or jailbreakme.com

how do i check?
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-09-30 at 06:15 AM.

Thanks

If you need the unlock still then your best choice is to upgrade to 4.0/4.0.1 (assuming the shsh blobs are on file), hacktivating it, and then using jailbreakme.com to jailbreak it followed by installing ultrasn0w via cydia to unlock it again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

is there a tutorial on how i can do all that? like upgrade to 4.0.1 and check the shsh blobs?

You've got to be careful going the custom firmware route. If it was jailbroken with spirit then you will need to install the spirit2pwn patch from the woowiz repo. For blackrain then this isn't necessary, but I don't think it can be JB with blackrain as that was for 3.1.2.

It could be JB with jailbreakme, do you get a line of pixels on boot and a slow boot?

For the upgrade to 4.0.1 you would use tiny umbrella. First off, download the program and select advanced option, then select the 4.0.1 firmware for your handset and click save my SHSH. If you've got it then there are loads of guides out there for upgrading (same procedure as downgrading).
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-30 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

no i do no not see a line of pixels and a slow boot...

also... i used http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...obs-saved.html to check my shsh blobs... and [GUIDE] Find 3GS ECID (Windows) - iPod touch Fans forum - iPod, iPhone and iPad to check my ecid...

i put all that information into tinyumbrella and then got a window saying the following devices/ecids can be restored safely: (and then nothing)

You've got 3 options

1. If you are feeling lucky, then install the spirit2pwn patch and then use snowbreeze 2.0.2 to create custom firmware for 4.1, shift restore and unlock with ultrasnow.

2. Get tinyumbrella working - you are doing something wrong! Also. double check in cydia, it should state there what SHSH you have on file.

3. You could just edit your host file (google this) and try a shift restore to 4.0.1. Worst case is that it won't let you do it. (Thinking about it, this is your best option, try this first!).

Alternatively, stay on 3.1.3.

N.B. If you go option 2 or 3, you will need to activate your phone, so you'll need a sim from the original carrier.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-30 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ok so i loaded cydia and it says at the top shsh: iOS 4.1

what does this mean?

Thanks

Do you need the unlock still?

Thanks

yes i do. i have an old cingular sim card (obviously its not active)... will that work?

Thanks

I'm pretty certain the old sim card would work. I would double check on that part though as I rarely have to deal with unlocking iPhones. Anniex423 is on, pm her, she is very educated in the ins and outs of unlocking iPhones.

IF she says it works then here's a simple instructions set for you:

Here's the simple way to check.

Plug in iPhone
    Open Firmware Umbrella
    Click "Advanced Options"
    For "Request Version" Select iPhone 3GS 4.0.1
    For "Request From" make sure it says Cydia
    Finally, click "Save My SHSH"

after a few moments it will answer your request. If the shsh blobs are on file you will see SUCCESSFULLY SAVED in big green letters (along with a bunch of other stuff)

If this happens for you, then all you ahve to do is download the iOS 4.0.1 ipsw for the 3GS and do the following

Click "Start TSS Server" on Firmware Umbrella
    Open iTunes (F.U. closes iTunes if it is already open in order to start the server connection)
    Go to your devices main page in iTunes
    Hold either [shift] (pc) or [option] (mac) while clicking "Restore"
    This will open a window and allow ou to select the 4.0.1 ipsw file that you just downloaded earlier.

Pop in the sim card and activate in itunes

Once your phone is restored and activated simply go to jailbreakme.com in safari on your phone and "slide to jailbreak"

Next open cydia and install ultrasn0w and you should be good to go. Power off the phone, put the correct sim card in, and power it on and you're done.

Like i said though, check about the old sim card being usable first.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

If you are desperate to get to 4.x then you can be brave and do the spirit2pwn route.

Othrwise, stay where you are.

Only having 4.1 means you can only upgrade to 4.1 unless you use custom firmware (custom firmware upgrades don't need shsh).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks for the information. i pmed anniex423. hopefully i can get this issue resolved. @westonben i think i will hold off on spirit2pwn because i dont want to crash or brick my iphone.

im kinda hesitant to mess with cydia too because when i first got the phone cydia told me there were updates so i downloaded them and it got to a screen that says reload springboard and it just froze there...

You're kind of wasting your time, you're only going to have SHSH for 4.1 it seems, so you can't get to 4.0.1.

When you went into cydia the first time you got the phone (how long ago was that?) did you hit the "make my life easier" option?

Thanks

i got the phone on tuesday. and i dont remember if i hit the make my life easier option...

is there a way to undo it just in case?

It sounds to me like your phone wad JB by the previous guy just before he sold it on and wasn't JB before. The make my life easier button has been applied and picked up 4.1. No other SHSH files are available therefore, to that handset.

Unless you're desperate, stay on 3.1.3 for now, but you could double check 4.0.1 SHSH anyway to be sure (using tinyumbrella method as above)

Personally, I'd go with spirit2pwn and custom firmware, but I get you taking the cautious route, especially when you only have 4.1 to restore to if it all goes wrong.

Thanks

is there a way i can do a factory restore? and then start the process from scratch?

Unfortunately not.

Thanks

EF!

i guess i'll have to wait it out then until something does work... (if that ever comes)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast