Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3Gs 4.1... what to do??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Question iphone 3Gs 4.1... what to do??
    I just bought my i to use with Tmobile. I assumed it would be easy to have my iphone unlocked but come to find out my verison 4.1 has no firmware at this time. What should I do at this point? Be patient and wait I continue to read in blogs that it may not be possible to unlock 4.1, have an at&t customer activate my phone to downgrade it, not sure if thats even possible. I'm at loss here...

Only 2 options:

1. Sell it on ebay as "carrier locked to AT&T" and buy one on 4.0.1 (check the baseband with the seller)
    2. Wait for a new jailbreak and new unlocking tools.

It is possible you can downgrade the phone to 4.0.1 to jailbreak it (after activation), so you could use it like an ipod touch until a new unlock comes out. Check out tiny umbrella and see if you have SHSH on file for 4.0.1 firmware.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

dadams (2010-09-28), nikolay67 (2010-09-28)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

upgrade to 4.1+ jb/unlock that might be an option

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If the device is already on 4.1, your baseband is probably 5.14.02 which can't be unlocked. It could take a month to 6 months before a new unlock comes out. The devs are focusing on the jb and not the unlock at this time. Sell the phone and get another if you can't see yourself waiting months.

4.2 is rumored to be due around November, the devs might work on a unlock for 4.2 if Apple decides to slap a baseband update on that one. So that's about another month from now to wait for an unlock. We don't know if the new unlock will come out when 4.2 comes out or if it will be the next fw update, so it's up to you whether you want to sell the phone or wait a couple or a few months.