Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 05.14.02 Baseband hardware unlock?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 05.14.02 Baseband hardware unlock?
    Ok, so there's no way to downgrade the newest baseband on more recent iPhones and there's no software unlock available, and might not be available for quite some time. Are there any hardware alternatives at all, like universal SIM hacks? Does the updated baseband also defeat this method of unlocking as well? The websites for these SIM hacks don't seem to be very descriptive and a lot of the information seems out of date, leading me to believe it just doesn't work anymore. Also, with universalsim.org, it almost seems like these devices used to be able to unlock SIMS's but now maybe they are only able to activate if anything?

Also, remember when some places made money by physically yanking out the baseband chip, and hacking it with some special code? Does anyone still do this at all?

Finally, I just want to vent how upset I am with Apple and the phone carriers for enforcing locks in the first place. It's my phone, I paid for it fair and square, but now that I'm an American expat living in Canada, I'm hosed because I accidentally updated my AT&T 3GS to 4.1. Also, I have no contract, so what reason would they have to do this to me? I think we need to start petitioning our nations' governments and restore consumer rights. This is corporate criminality at its absolute worst. I think the next time I want to buy a brand new phone with a contract, I'll go with an Android. As much as I love the iPhone, I'm just getting sick of all the hoops I have to jump through just to make it work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

nikolay67 (2010-09-26)

I'm in a similar situation. I have an iPhone 4 at baseband 2.10.04 and am living overseas, hence the unlock is necessary. I really hope a new ultrasn0w will come out soon or at least a new hardware unlock is developed..or else I would have bought this iphone for nothing.

just throwing this out, i'm in the same boat. an american iPhone in taiwan. accidentally upgraded my 3gs to 4.1 and now im phoneless. sucks.

I have the same question... I know there are those "sleeves" for SIM cards, but not sure if it will work with the latest baseband