Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is an unlock for 4.1 baseband in the works?

Default Is an unlock for 4.1 baseband in the works?
    Hey, I was reading on the Dev-Team Blog today that people who upgrade to 4.1 could lose their unlock "possibly forever".

Does this mean there is really no progress being made on a 4.1 unlock? Anyone in the know got any idea what's going to happen about unlocking the new baseband?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

Falcons (2010-09-25)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

At this point in time there has been no announcement regarding the discovery of a new baseband exploit or development of an unlock for it.

One will more than likely be found eventually, but it is not a guaranteed thing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

bellyfrog (2010-09-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Looks like the apple guys at cupertino are winning the battle of jailbreak and unlock in every ios they release. Because I remember in the past wasn't too complicated to jailbreak and unlock a version. So, this means in the near future the guys of dev team won't be able to unlock nothing? If they can't unlock this baseband, what guarantee us that the next baseband will be unlocked? We are locked to att? FOR ME APPLE IS WINNING THE BATTLE!

Thanks

Well, keep in mind, the Dev Team typically unlocks every other baseband update. I don't know the specific reasons behind this, but I believe it is just a means to slowdown the use of baseband exploits. The next unlock probably won't be until 4.2 rolls out in november.

Quote Originally Posted by yabd View Post
    Looks like the apple guys at cupertino are winning the battle of jailbreak and unlock in every ios they release. Because I remember in the past wasn't too complicated to jailbreak and unlock a version. So, this means in the near future the guys of dev team won't be able to unlock nothing? If they can't unlock this baseband, what guarantee us that the next baseband will be unlocked? We are locked to att? FOR ME APPLE IS WINNING THE BATTLE!
    I wouldn't say they are winning as its just not as simple as that. It goes back and forth. Sometimes it can take months, but that could last for 2 generations of phones.

In the end I would say both are winning and we as consumers are also winning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fc97accord View Post
    I wouldn't say they are winning as its just not as simple as that. It goes back and forth. Sometimes it can take months, but that could last for 2 generations of phones.

In the end I would say both are winning and we as consumers are also winning.
    Yeah, I don't think it's fair to say that they are winning. The devs are finding exploits on a fairly regular basis (relatively speaking) but also have to be wise about using them (not wasting them on simple patching updates such as 4.0.2). A three or four month wait between releases is really not a long time at all, especially considering that at least one to two of those months are spent actually writing the jailbreak and cleaning it up.

so, just a recap, it seems that I (someone who upgraded and lost their unlock on a 3GS) will eventually be able to use my iphone again but because new firmware is expected so soon it's probably not going to come on ios 4.1 but maybe 4.2?

Thanks

It will be released as soon as it's ready and (relatively) user friendly. They have already stated that they will not wait to release it until after 4.2 is released unless it simply isn't finished by then.

Unfortunately, there has been no mention of an unlock being in the works as of yet. If you are unable to use your iPhone as a phone (but rather as basically an iPod touch) because of the upgraded BB then as it stand now, you won't be able to use it for a phone even after the new jailbreak is released, unless there is a new discovery or announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Well, keep in mind, the Dev Team typically unlocks every other baseband update. I don't know the specific reasons behind this, but I believe it is just a means to slowdown the use of baseband exploits. The next unlock probably won't be until 4.2 rolls out in november.
    Ah well that is good info to have. Possibly they do have an exploit available but why announce it if they are waiting for 4.2 anyway. That just gives Apple the chance to find and plug the hole before they release 4.2.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I remember back in the day when I had to use TurboSIMs while waiting for an unlock. Lol back on 2.x. It wasn't till months later when my friend upgraded (stupid girl lol) and couldn't get the phone unlocked anymore and the unlock came out. I remember it was seriously months tho. Who knows if that's gonna happen this time.