Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will Unlock, what to do about monthly charges?

Default Will Unlock, what to do about monthly charges?
    I will be getting an iPhone. So, first of all please tell which model should I go for so that it could be unlocked surely.

I was browsing the Apple online store, when I clicked on Buy it ask to choose a monthly plan. Since, I will be unlocking what should I choose here? I don't want to pay them any monthly charges and neither do I want to get into any legal issues (like if I don't may them monthly, will they contact me?)

I am not an american but currently in US, so I just want to know how and where should I buy?

Actually I will be shipping the iphone after unlocking to Asia (I will not buy one in Asia, its too expensive) and that's why I am looking to buy a locked iphone for $299 or something and then unlocking it.

Thanks
    Last edited by iCloud; 2010-09-23 at 02:44 PM.

The best advice I can give you is do not purchase it in the USA. Take a trip up to Canada and buy one from the apple store. It will be unlocked and you never have to worry about firmware updates.

If you buy in the USA it will be locked to ATT and most likely will be on Firmware 4.1 or possibly 4.0.2. In either case you cannot unlock it presently and there is no information that anyone is working on an unlock. It does not matter if you buy from Apple directly or from ATT in the USA it will be locked to ATT.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-09-23 at 02:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

iCloud (2010-09-23)

Are the older models 3G, 3Gs or so discontinued? Means can I get it from stores (but not ebay)?

Can you give the approximate price of the unlocked model in apple store, Canada?

Thanks

If you buy it from ATT doesn't matter if you unlock it or not, you are still abide by the year contract and you will be paying the monthly fee anyway. Now, if you can get it from any other method, then you will unlock it to be able to use it with a different carrier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Davesdream For This Useful Post:

iCloud (2010-09-23)

Quote Originally Posted by iCloud View Post
    Are the older models 3G, 3Gs or so discontinued? Means can I get it from stores (but not ebay)?

Can you give the approximate price of the unlocked model in apple store, Canada?

Thanks
    The price of the IP4 at apple store Canada is $659 and $779 Canadian for the 16 and 32 G models. If you are interested in the 3GS you can pick them up on Ebay or Craiglist already JB and UL. However, you have to be careful that you do not upgrade the software after you purchase without a great deal of research on what versions can be JB and UL. Also be aware Apple will not Ship the Iphone from Canada to USA you have to go to the store to purchase it and you probably want to check stock availability before even going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Davesdream View Post
    If you buy it from ATT doesn't matter if you unlock it or not, you are still abide by the year contract and you will be paying the monthly fee anyway. Now, if you can get it from any other method, then you will unlock it to be able to use it with a different carrier.
    OK. What the other method could be besides ebay?