Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPHONE 3G ON CARRIER LOCKED AND RUNNING ON iOS4.1

Default IPHONE 3G ON CARRIER LOCKED AND RUNNING ON iOS4.1
    HI i have an iphone 3G 8GB on carrier locked and running on ios4.1. i've tried so many times and so many ways on unlocking it but i just cant seem to find a way. i got this phone as a second hand phone from someone who was selling it online. he gave it to me already jailbroken and was running on ios3.1. everything was going well at first but after a week using it, it started showing problems. E.g it suddenly turns off by itself and sometimes takes hours for me to switch it on, even when on charging it. so i decided to reboot everything and upgrade it to 4.1. the seller of the iphone never said anything about not letting it upgrade. so i just upgraded it. all hell breaks lose right after i upgraded it and my device on itunes said 'SIM CARD NOT SUPPORTED. PLEASE USE A SIM CARD THAT IS SUPPORTED.' i've lost the seller's number and i have no way to contact him. HELP i just wanna unlock it.

REPEAT, iphone 3g carrier locked running on ios4.1

You are out of luck. The upgrade to 4.1 includes a baseband upgrade. You can downgrade the FW version with the 3G but you cannot downgrade the baseband. The 5.14.x baseband cannot be unlocked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    You are out of luck. The upgrade to 4.1 includes a baseband upgrade. You can downgrade the FW version with the 3G but you cannot downgrade the baseband. The 5.14.x baseband cannot be unlocked.

you can DG BB if you a BL 5.08 thru fuzzyband.

Um, im sorry but im not really good with technology. :P what does all the short form stands for?

You will have to wait for the new Jailbreak to come out.

I might have the same problem? But can't you unlock it then choose the previous backup in itunes?

There is no way i can access it in my itunes because whenever i plug it into itunes, it'll only show a screen on my device that says 'sim card not supported.' no restore button, neither is there a backup button. And even if i wait for the jailbreak to come out, i still cant unlock it as upgrading 4.1 also upgrades the baseband (thanks to nebo1ss for the info). I doubt i have any ways left to solve my problem. =\

UNLESS, somebody here has a US sim card? :P

I just went to see a guy and he installed his sim and unlocked the phone and told me that the phone was indeed on 4.1

So I, along with you, am screwed until the unlock for 4.1 comes out, which I tend to think will be sometime along time from now! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by opmode View Post
    I just went to see a guy and he installed his sim and unlocked the phone and told me that the phone was indeed on 4.1

So I, along with you, am screwed until the unlock for 4.1 comes out, which I tend to think will be sometime along time from now! Ugh!
    What sim card did he install to your iphone? You're lucky enough to have a friend who has a sim card that your phone supports. I dont. And furthermore, im not sure where exactly my iphone's manufactured. -_-" Haha.

He's on the at&t network. So he was able to unlock, sort of speak, the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Lala View Post
    What sim card did he install to your iphone? You're lucky enough to have a friend who has a sim card that your phone supports. I dont. And furthermore, im not sure where exactly my iphone's manufactured. -_-" Haha.
    Hi,

Unfortunately a lot of people misuse the terminology in this Thread.
    Let me try and help.

Activate: An iphone has to be activated before it can be used. This involves inserting a SIM from the original carrier. if the phone has not been activated you cannot access any of the menu's and hence cannot even check what firmware you are on. From What you have said in your original message your phone is already activated. Others in this thread have used the term unlock when they mean activate.

Unlock: This involves a software patch to the baseband which allows it to work with any SIM card. The unlock software that is used with baseband 5.13.x and lower is called untrasn0w and is found in Cydia after you have jailbroken the phone.

There was a suggestion made in an earlier post that you did not understand the terms. I will try and translate it for you.
    The poster said that you can indeed downgrade your baseband if you have a 5.08 bootloader on your 3G phone by the use of a tool called fuzzyband. I have no idea if this will work with the latest basebands, but you have nothing to lose by trying this and if you have the wrong bootloader it will tell you this and cause no harm.

You need to be jailbroken first to attempt any of this and hence you should use the new version of Redsn0w to jailbreak the phone. http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta

You also get Fuzzyband from Cydia and therefore you need to be jailbroken first.

Do not attempt to restore the phone because you will need a SIM card from the original carrier to activate after the restore.

I hope this all makes sense but be sure you understand what you are doing and get all the tools downloaded before starting. Use Iclarify as a good tutorial site.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-09-24 at 11:54 AM. Reason: modified JB suggestion