Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Unlocking Explanation

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone Unlocking Explanation
    Hey Guys,

Just want to clarify something.

When you Unlock an iPhone, what actually happens? I mean, can you unlock it to ALL networks, UK and US? For example my current plan is on 3. Yet unlocking it will not work.

So I'm assuming unlocking skips the activation process?

thanks a lot!

Activation is the first step and gives you access to the phone menu. This requires original carrier sim card "active or inactive" Unlocking opens the baseband to accept any carrier sim. Unlock requires root access to phone and hence need jailbreak first except for factory unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Activation is the first step and gives you access to the phone menu. This requires original carrier sim card "active or inactive" Unlocking opens the baseband to accept any carrier sim. Unlock requires root access to phone and hence need jailbreak first except for factory unlock.
    Cheers mate. Weird that, because I unlocked a phone with redsn0w last night it skipped the activation but it is still locked to o2 and I wanted to try and get 3 working on there.

Any Ideas?

Now that you have jailbroken your phone you should have an application on there call Cydia. Open Cydia and look for repo666. You find find an application called ultrasn0w. Run that application and it will unlock your phone. This is assuming your baseband is 5.13.x or lower. If you have 5.14.x Ultrasn0w will not work.

I have jail broken my 3gs using jailbreakme. checked the baseband (05.12.01), operating system (3.1.3 (7E18)). Then went to cydia and tried to install ultrasnowe. mid way received the message could not activate cellular data network and then went to restart. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by eschlene View Post
    I have jail broken my 3gs using jailbreakme. checked the baseband (05.12.01), operating system (3.1.3 (7E18)). Then went to cydia and tried to install ultrasnowe. mid way received the message could not activate cellular data network and then went to restart. Am I missing something?
    Were u on wifi when you tried installing ultrasnow? If no try it again that way, otherwise leave the AT&T sim in until the iPhone itself reboots after the app has installed

If I helped please thank me

ok. I'm going to try that when I get home on my wifi there. I was waiting for some code to cook here at the office. It could be that our wifi guys have security in place or something that stopped the process.

I am correct, aren't I in thinking that since this 3gs is active on AT&T right now, I'm ok to just leave the sim card in place as I ultrasnowe it?

thanks much!

eric